NoT versus IoT, what is the difference?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
What is the difference between network of things versus internet of things? Any examples? Also when creating VLANs, under what situations would you want to create one for NoTs?

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Honestly I've never heard the term "network of things" used before. I can only assume it is meant to describe devices that are on the network, but don't have internet access. Regardless, IMHO the best VLAN practice is to set up a "IoT" device VLAN that has internet access and a VLAN for IoT type devices that should NOT have access to the internet. Whether that is called NoT or not I don't know.

On the IoT VLAN(s) with internet access you will place things like smart TVs, and streaming devices/media players that obviously need to access the internet to work.
On the NoT VLAN(s) without internet access you should put all the other devices like printers, appliances, "smart" plugs/switches, other "smart" devices like thermostats etc, cameras, phone systems, etc. Of course I would break that down into several different VLANs as well with cameras on one, digital phone system on another, printers on a 3rd, smart devices on a 4th, etc, etc, etc.

Your regular computers, cell phones, mobile devices, etc should be on their own VLAN as well. Rules can be set so these devices can initiate communication with devices on the other VLANs, but not the other way around.

You probably want a "Guest" VLAN as well that has internet access, but is isolated from everything else on the network (ie cannot access the other VLANs).

Finally, if you want to access any of these devices externally while away from your local network, a VPN connection is the best way to do this vs port forwarding.

Last edited:

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I thought NoT == Non-IOT, smart devices (has microcontroller/CPU and firmware) but not connected to a network...

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FWIW:

IoT - the internet of things is a well known term. It describes devices that need to be connected to the internet to work properly. NoT - network of things describes devices, that are connected to your network, but don't need the internet to function properly.

( so I guess technically .. the IP PoE cameras I have are NoTs .. )

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
That sums up it very well, thanks for clarifying that, I thought NoT's were exclusively for switches and other networking-related stuff on the network itself. Makes sense they should be not be communicating to the internet :D

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm in the process of assigning VLAN's on each client on the network, but so far I noticed that its more to do with the port and the VLAN being assigned to that PoE. There are profiles too, but are pretty limited depending on whether or not the switches subsequent on the network can support them. My network is managed by the UniFi controller, but I have other switch brands as well (i.e. TP Link, Zyxel, and Netgear). Is this a bad idea or should I be able assign VLAN's to the clients connected to those switches as well (Wired and Wireless)?

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I suppose any Window/UNIX/Linux/OSX desktop/server computer would be classified as NoT....

Put IoT and NoT devices in a segregated network
IoT - the internet of things is a well known term. It describes devices that need to be connected to the internet to work properly. NoT - network of things describes devices, that are connected to your network, but don’t need the internet to function properly.

And:

iwanttosee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If I have my ways, all my smart devices at home would be NoT as no one on the internet needs access to my smart switches, garage door opener, nvr, cameras, thermostat, and etc. But since some of the smart devices I have require internet connections to be smart, I am force to allow them to have internet access.

My NVR and Camera are on the SAME subnet as my other devices, but my DHCP server assign them blank for gateway and blank for dns so they do not talk to the internet. I installed an OpenVPN server on a Rasiberry Pi to access them.

Hab958

n3wb
Reaction score
NoT can be any local computer LAN of devices or any industrial networks (Profibus, Profinet, Interbus, Modbus, ...) that are not connected to internet. IoT are network of devices that are connected to internet and can communicate each other. NoT can be an IoT by connecting to internet via a gateway, router, edge device or IoT gateway.