Notifications without internet?

nsguy902

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, I have been experimenting with home automation and have a few questions. Our local internet provider sells security and automation systems with claims of notifications even when you lose internet service. How is this typically done? A router with sim?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, they have a mobile connection in it.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ring Alarm does it and I think it is $200/year, but they might have some lower options as well.

nsguy902

n3wb
Reaction score
Ring Alarm does it and I think it is $200/year, but they might have some lower options as well.
Thanks. I wondered how my provider can offer this service w/security system for $40 per month. Makes sense when they also sell mobile phone plans. Hard to compete with those prices

Griswalduk

Known around here
Reaction score
My current UK provider is Vodaphone. I am getting 500 down 70 up with a back up USB dongle/SIM that plugs into the router. In the event of a network failure it automatically switches over. Cost £32pm

Saying that I've yet to have a failure and I'm also using my own router so if the network does go down I'll have to swap some leads and equipment around and back again

You could try them for offers in your area.

nsguy902

n3wb
Reaction score
My current UK provider is Vodaphone. I am getting 500 down 70 up with a back up USB dongle/SIM that plugs into the router. In the event of a network failure it automatically switches over. Cost £32pm

Saying that I've yet to have a failure and I'm also using my own router so if the network does go down I'll have to swap some leads and equipment around and back again

You could try them for offers in your area.
That would work if I can get similar in Canada.Quite expensive considering you may never use it. Thank you

Griswalduk

Known around here
Reaction score
That would work if I can get similar in Canada.Quite expensive considering you may never use it. Thank you
The £32 is the total cost which includes the internet, a never used phone line and the back up dongle. In rip off Britain it's not a bad deal lol

Griswalduk

Known around here
Reaction score
It's also worth mentioning since I'm using my own Netgear router I've also forgone the use of the phone line and number. This may be a deal breaker for some if the phone is essential and you want to use your own equipment.

Last edited:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You can typically get some pretty low cost M2M (machine to machine) cellphone plans with a bit of effort. That's what's used typically for things like alarm systems.