Nvidia CUDA not working after Microsoft updates the Nvidia driver

aquarian

n3wb
Reaction score
New PC, i7-11700K, 32GB, RTX 3060 ti, Windows 10 21H2. Was running Nvidia driver 471.41 (Latest from Dell website,) and CPU/GPU usage was low at around 10-11% with BI 4.8.6.3 window maximized viewing 8 cameras.

After the Windows update, my Nvidia driver was updated to 496.49 and immediately I noticed that my Nvidia GPU usage would be around 35% with the BI window maximized. From the task manager I noticed that Nvidia is no longer decoding one of the cameras (Hikvision) using Nvidia CUDA (only 1 is using CUDA). If I minimize the BI window GPU usage is nearly 1%.

Checked Nvidia settings and they all seem good. This is obviously a driver issue. I removed 496.49 completely and the GPU usage went back to my original. I then updated to the newest driver from Nvidia's website (511.23) and the same phenomenon is happening. It seems like the newer drivers are not able to do Nvidia CUDA decoding for BI. I then removed the newest driver and went back to 471.41, and the GPU usage good with the BI GUI maximized.

Does anyone know what's happening and how I can solve this issue? I would love to update my Nvidia driver but my BI for some reason is not talking with the newer drivers out there. Help is appreciated!