Nvidia Graphics card

tspevacek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I noticed on Blue Iris web page it states it recommends a Nvidia Graphics adapter. The current system running Blue Iris is an i7 11700K 64GB of DDR4 3200 I have main program running on an M.2 with 4X WD Purple 10TB drives for Storage. Is it really needed to add a Nvidia Display adapter for any real reason? I have several cards laying around that I could use for the purpose 970, 1070, 2070, and a 2080Ti. I am just not sure if it would be of any benefit to add a card, the system is only used for BI and nothing else will take place with the system. The system is only 8 Cameras with the possibility of adding up to 4 more Cameras in the future.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
If you use DeepStack AI an NVidia card can make a world of difference. BI has recently switched from DeepStack to SenseAI however. Unfortunately SenseAI does not yet support GPU processing so there's no gain, yet, by using an NVidia graphics card. As with everything bigger is better and the 2080Ti would probably be the best performer.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Around the time DeepStack was introduced, many here had their system become unstable with hardware acceleration on (even if not using DeepStack). Some have also been fine.

This hits everyone at a different point. Some had their system go wonky immediately, some it was after a specific update, and some still don't have a problem, yet the trend is showing running hardware acceleration will result in a problem at some point.

However, with substreams being introduced, the CPU% needed to offload video to a GPU is more than the CPU% savings seen by offloading to a GPU. Especially after about 12 cameras, the CPU goes up by using hardware acceleration.

You now only would use a graphics card if you are using Deepstack and use the GPU to process the DeepStack to improve processing time over the DeepStack CPU version, but do not use it for hardware acceleration within BI.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't have any Nvidia graphics cards running in my 2 systems. i5-8500 and an i7-8700 with 18 and 10 cams. i have HA off. and i use substreams on about 90% of the cams. i'm not using Deepstack.