NVR 7608 version

badmannen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can someone tell me what the difference is inside the NVR ( looking currently on a DS 7608 NI - E2 ) is between the models with 4 PoE ports and the one with 8 or 16 ?
Is the difference only the amount of ports or any other hardware specs that is better with the bigger models ?

I only got 2 cameras at the moment so works with a 4 port version. but I don not want to get stuck there if I will expand.
I got external standalone PoE so that is no problem for the number of ports.

any one that can recommend this model or do you have any other suggestion in the same price range?

thank you for any reply

//Henrik

badmannen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
also does it record from the cameras if they record in H.265 which is the one I would like to use

badmannen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
And another thing if someone will answer =)

Is there a limit as to how many cameras can be connected to one NVR via the LAN ? I assume the limit surely not is the number of ports but more like 255 or something similar ?

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Don't know whether the hardware is going to be that much different, the main thing is number of ports/channels, maximum bandwidth and poe power across the channels. No, the one you want doesn't support H.265, I have newer I2 version and it doesn't seem to support my non Hikvision camera H.265 stream either. You can only use NVR with allocated number of channels. So 8 channel NVR will allow you to have up to 8 streams and you cannot upgrade or expand that in any way with NVR besides getting a new one even if none of the cams are using NVR ports

badmannen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
excellent answer thank you =) . It´s a shame that it does not support h.265 since both my cameras support it ( both hikvision) . but I guess I will survive with 264 or 264+ even if the filesize gets slightly larger.
So I could really go for a cheaper model that support 4mp at h.264+ without any poe-ports then for now since there seems to be no benefit of choosing a higher level model . ( except alarm inputs etc which I don´t use anyway.

Can someone come up with a good reason to buy a higher level model like the I2 or similar?

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
excellent answer thank you =) . It´s a shame that it does not support h.265 since both my cameras support it ( both hikvision) . but I guess I will survive with 264 or 264+ even if the filesize gets slightly larger.
So I could really go for a cheaper model that support 4mp at h.264+ without any poe-ports then for now since there seems to be no benefit of choosing a higher level model . ( except alarm inputs etc which I don´t use anyway.

Can someone come up with a good reason to buy a higher level model like the I2 or similar?
Just to clarify according to spec I2 should support 265, but I don't have 265 Hikvision cam to confirm that, it does not work with non Hikvision 265 cam.

I went from 7608NI-E2/8P to 7616NI-I2/16P and no regrets. Main benefit is the performance, it is quite noticeable if you are going to have high megapixel cams running at full bitrate. Streams start faster in live view and no choppy recording on my 5MP camera at 12k bitrate and 30 fps.

CoreyX64

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Can someone tell me what the difference is inside the NVR ( looking currently on a DS 7608 NI - E2 ) is between the models with 4 PoE ports and the one with 8 or 16 ?
Is the difference only the amount of ports or any other hardware specs that is better with the bigger models ?
Any 7600 E series NVR are identical hardware-wise. The major difference in hardware is the PoE switch, whether it has 4 or 8 ports. The number after the E indicates the number of SATA interfaces available on the main logic board.

7608NI-E2

76xx = model series
NI = International model (N is the other form of this, lacking the I)
2 = number of SATA interfaces
08 = number of channels supported

Whether 4 or 8, the core hardware is identical, except for PoE ports on the built-in switch. If you look at the inside of one of these, the PoE is not part of the MLB. It's an independent sub-board.

I only got 2 cameras at the moment so works with a 4 port version. but I don not want to get stuck there if I will expand.
I got external standalone PoE so that is no problem for the number of ports.
As long as long-term you have no plans to exceed 4 cameras, that's correct. If you get 8, the same applies but with 8 cameras.

Is there a limit as to how many cameras can be connected to one NVR via the LAN ? I assume the limit surely not is the number of ports but more like 255 or something similar ?
The number of cameras permitted on the NVR's internal subnet (the PoE switch) cannot exceed the number of ports on said switch. If you were to buy an 8CH recorder with a 4-port switch (they are NOT common but you should be aware), you would only be allowed to put 4 cams on the NVR switch, no matter how they are connected physically. The other 4 must tie onto the main network somehow. Silly firmware restriction, but important. Any of the 32CH Hikvisions I install I can only put 16 on the switch because there are 16 ports. I have to have a second PoE switch to handle the other 16, and that switch must be on the main LAN, not the PoE's LAN.

If you want to remote-power all of your cams separate from the NVR with external switches, as long as the total number of cams does not exceed the number of ports on the recorder, that's perfectly fine.

also does it record from the cameras if they record in H.265 which is the one I would like to use
The E series 7600 DOES support H.265 as of the 3.4.0 firmware revision. However, with all that being said, I have H.265 Hikvision camera along with an (allegedly supported) H.265 Hikvision recorder, and for some reason they are grayed out. Have yet to figure it out. The release notes tell all, H.265 is supported on those recorders per Hikvision:
http://www.hikvisioneurope.com/portal/index.php?dir=Product Firmware/Recorder/DS-7600NI-E1(E2) 7700NI-E4/V3.4.0 build150929 Multi-lingual/&file=NVR_V3.4.0_build150929_Release Notes_.pdf

...and I've never been able to get that protocol to work. I was talking with @klasipca the other day. He has non-Hikvision H.265 cams with a higher-end NVR than me, and neither of us could figure it out. I am using like-branded equipment. If anyone's setup is going to work, it should be mine. He has mixed brands, couldn't get it to work. I have like-brand, and couldn't get it to work.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Support H.265 decoding format, including stream receive, storage, remote viewing and remote playback, but doesn’t support local viewing, digital zoom, local playback, PTZ live view.
I guess it's a partial support they added. I have no idea where to select h.265 decoding format in web ui though.

CoreyX64

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
"Stream receive" would seem like the core video feed. But why that impacts the rest of the functionality is beyond me. You have an NVR that explicitly advertises support (it's on the marketing page) yet you have the same experience as mine that implicitly advertises it (a minor quip in the release notes). Partial support is probably the best way to put it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

badmannen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
thank you big time. that got all the info and more than I needed =) .
I want to keep a justified budget when it comes to this. since the quality of the products are questionable . I got 2 cameras so far. and the Menu-system and settings in both the cameras and the IVMS 4200 or the pro version seems really in it´s infancy, which is strange with such a big company that they just do not spend more money of getting a more user friendly and enhanced system, settings and GUI.

Anyway I manage with what they have without much problems. ( just a bit of a headache )

btw that part that it supports H.265 is probably true? .. they write like this
"Support H.265 decoding format, including stream receive,storage, remote viewing and remote playback, but doesn’tsupport local viewing, digital zoom, local playback, PTZ liveview."

...... So probably it saves the stream but you can not view it locally on the NVR but probably with a PC remotely ? ( but I suppose you tried )