NVR blocking internet access

dryfly

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It's my understanding that for security purposes I can block internet access of my NVR using functions in my Asus router. If I do this is it also going to prevent remote access to my camera system using one of my OpenVPN clients?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It's my understanding that for security purposes I can block internet access of my NVR using functions in my Asus router. If I do this is it also going to prevent remote access to my camera system using one of my OpenVPN clients?
Test it.

When you connect to your network via VPN it's now a local connection to the NVR, so it shouldn't. In practice it could depend on a particular router's implementation of features to block a device's internet access.

Last edited:

dryfly

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OK that makes sense. I need to figure out how to block the NVR on the Asus router. Maybe "parental controls".

I don't even know how important isolating the NVR is, as my cameras feed directly to the NVR so they should not have internet access at all.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The NVR is just as vulnerable...you can also go into the NVR network setting and put the gateway and DNS addresses as the NVR address so it doesn't have a way to connect.

dryfly

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The NVR is just as vulnerable...you can also go into the NVR network setting and put the gateway and DNS addresses as the NVR address so it doesn't have a way to connect.
Well, I just isolated the NVR from the internet on the router settings and it would not allow remote access after that, so that possibility is ruled out. Is it even possible to isolate the NVR and still have remote access?

On the NVR, are you talking about the settings "IPv4 Default Gateway" and "Preferred DNS Server settings". This is a Hikvision NVR. Those settings are now the same as my router's IP.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is where OpenVPN comes in - once you VPN back into your system, it is like you are home. That is the point on VPN and how we access remotely.

Yes since those are the same setting as the router, that allows it to access the internet unless you blocked it some other way. Many will make those numbers different so it doesn't have an actual viable gateway just in case.

dryfly

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That did not work either unless I did something wrong. To change the DNS server and Default Gateway address I had to uncheck "Enable DHCP", then changed both to the LAN IP address of the NVR. The NVR'S IP address is set to "manual" on the router so it's not changing. I can't get a remote access connection.

I fully agree I should be VPN into the LAN and have access to an internet blocked device. I'm missing something.

Last edited:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I fully agree I should be VPN into the LAN and have access to an internet blocked device. I'm missing something.
Not necessarily, it may be blocking traffic to the router regardless of the VPN when you enable that setting.