NVR camera's and the NVR itself.

Gary R.

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a neighbor, who is looking for a home security camera system. I was thinking a 4 or 8 port Hikvision POE NVR system that we can just run cat 5 or 6 to. What I don't know is how you can WATCH the video on the system, is there an app that can be put on the phone. He has no computer according to him.

So, looking for suggestions. Can I go with a cheaper NVR instead of the HIKvision? I want to use HikVision camera's.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Most all of these NVR systems have QR code linking you to the App Store or Play Store for their App.
My Nightowl(dont buy one) DVR had an App.
My Amcrest DVR and NVR both use Amcrest View Pro App
Lorex NVR's have an App
Dahua's have an App
I'm sure Hikvision has an App. etc....

There are cheaper Hikvision OEM's on the market. ( not so sure what you lose in the Features and functions though)
@wittaj Hikvision OEM's? recommend?

Gary R.

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Most all of these NVR systems have QR code linking you to the App Store or Play Store for their App.
My Nightowl(dont buy one) DVR had an App.
My Amcrest DVR and NVR both use Amcrest View Pro App
Lorex NVR's have an App
Dahua's have an App
I'm sure Hikvision has an App. etc....

There are cheaper Hikvision OEM's on the market. ( not so sure what you lose in the Features and functions though)
@wittaj Hikvision OEM's? recommend?
Yeah, I use some Hikvision OEM units, they work fine. Thanks for the information, I suspected they would have an APP, just don't want to get caught short with my neighbor.

Gary R.

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for that. I run Blue Iris, with an I5 Dell computer with 6 cores, also running 11 camera's with some setup for Deep Stack. It can bog down some at times. I don't think my neighbor wants to spend that much money. He should, but he won't. So I have another question, do the NVR's keep up well when you have a lot of camera's, possibly going off a lot?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, the app notifications I’ve experienced with Nightowl and Amcrest had us turning notifications off with in 2 hours.
you may have to adjust the sensitivity on start up.
I really don’t find the User interfaces on DVR/Nvr’s as helpful as BI’s console view.
But if your guy can feel more secure ing at an App and seeing “ It was just the wind” that’s probably fine.
Event viewing takes practice to get efficient with each App.
I get about 30 motions an hour on home DVR.

Also hooked a Bi pc to the IP of the recorder at home and get all 8 channels plus a doorbell