NVR Compatibility

CoreyX64

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have a mix of US and chinese cams with an older (2014) 7716NI-SE recorder. All of the cams are either running 5.2.0 or 5.2.5. Even on the genuine cams, there has been 0 reason to upgrade the firmware on them as they work perfectly fine. I am planning on purchasing some of the newer 4MP domes (DS-2CD3145F-I) that are chinese>english patched out of the gate running 5.3.3 and I have read a few places that these newer cameras do not work with the older NVRs. My NVR is running the latest 3.4.0 firmware, so it supports HV's new "activation" security feature, etc. so from a hardware perspective I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work, so long that the camera "broadcasts" US region so the NVR will not reject it as a language-mismatched orphan child. That's how my existing chinese cams work and the NVR works well with them and has ever since installation in Spring 2014 (although a couple are of the newer 2015 hardware revision; again, no issues with those either).

I am curious as to if there is truth to this and if so whether it's a HW or FW limitation? If so I'll reconsider ordering. I've always been okay with chinese cams because I've never had a need to tamper with the IPC firmware, I've only ever kept the NVR up to date because that's the only thing I directly interface with. From research it sounds like the Hikvision bees nest has been quite shaken up, and things are much different than they were even just a year ago.

Any input on this is much welcomed. Thanks