NVR Connected to Access Point Remote Viewing

Atechnical

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a dahua 4104-p NVR Connected to a wired access point and I can't get the gdmss app to work on my Android. The access point is an actiontec router from Verizon. I'm guessing I have the port forwards wrong but I don't know. I can view my camera if I'm connected to the WiFi but once I turn it off the camera is gone. Thanks

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a dahua 4104-p NVR Connected to a wired access point and I can't get the gdmss app to work on my Android. The access point is an actiontec router from Verizon. I'm guessing I have the port forwards wrong but I don't know. I can view my camera if I'm connected to the WiFi but once I turn it off the camera is gone. Thanks
Do you mean you can access the cam that's hooked to the NVR when your phone is on your house's Wi-Fi but when you turn off the phone's wireless and try coming in via the cellular network that you can NOT access the NVR?

Assuming for a minute that you DO have the port forwarding correct, has your WAN (public) IP changed from what you have set into the phone's app? Is that WAN IP dynamic?

If you don't know, go to whatismyip.com, note that public IP and put into the WAN (remote) section of the app. Include the forwarded port at the end of that WAN IP, separated by a colon, if the app doesn't have a distinct place for it. Like this: 123.045.145:002:1234

Reply with the results.

NOTE: port forwarding to cam or NVR is VERY risky and is NOT recommended. Also, uPNP in your router and cams should also be disabled. Using a VPN is the recommended method of protecting your network's security and integrity and the devices connected to it.

Atechnical

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That worked THANKS. I'm aware of the issues with port forwarding. Can you point me to a thread that spells out how to set up a VPN on an access point? I've seen many that cover a vpn on the main router but not an access point.

The main router is a Netgear R7800 that is Open VPN capable. I've flashed it with a Tomato firmware but I'm not sure how to use it's vpn capabilities or if it would work considering the nvr isn't directly plugged into it. As you can see I know just enough to get into trouble.

Thanks again for your help.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That worked THANKS. I'm aware of the issues with port forwarding. Can you point me to a thread that spells out how to set up a VPN on an access point? I've seen many that cover a vpn on the main router but not an access point.
That's because it must be set up on a VPN-ready router or on a server PC.

The main router is a Netgear R7800 that is Open VPN capable. I've flashed it with a Tomato firmware but I'm not sure how to use it's vpn capabilities or if it would work considering the nvr isn't directly plugged into it.
OpenVPN is highly rated and would be the way to go if your new firmware provides it on that R7800. If the NVR is on the LAN, either wired or wireless, it would be accessed via the VPN. Tomato likely has a wiki on setting up a VPN or use your Google Fu.

Are you using the NVR via wireless? Cameras and NVR's don't do well via wireless; too much data and bandwidth going back and forth and dropouts limit its dependability and quality of video. Any reason why it's not wired?

Last edited: