NVR connection to a TV

jesd03

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello

I have the Dahua NVR and have always used phone or pc to view videos etc.

I am thinking of installing a TV at the front near door. My NVR is setup in the loft, is it just a case of getting a long HDMI lead to cover the length?

Thanks

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Yes, I used a fleabay HDMI over ethernet kit, works great.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
My NVR's are hooked up to my LAN. So using IVMS4200 I can view my cameras on my home computer and its 28" 4K monitor. So what I did was install a small computer by the television and hooked it into my LAN. I downloaded IVMS4200 on it so I good view my cameras. The video outout is the TV. I just have to change the input port on the television to see it.

jesd03

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Actually I have a hdmi over Ethernet kit which I setup a while back to my main tv, maybe cheaper to just use that and run Ethernet cable

fred583

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am doing the same thing, possibly up to 4 using an HDMI splitter. I am just learning all this, so I do not speak as an expert and welcome corrections and suggestions.

My Dahua NVR HDMI output is 4K (3840 × 2160) HDMI version 2.0 and 60 Hz. All these things matter when selecting HDMI splitters or Ethernet extenders. Some can do limited downscale of the resolution, some cannot. For 4K, the Ethernet cable needs to be Cat6 and dedicated to the point to point extender devices, not run through your LAN/router. My NVR is PoE so all cameras are connected directly to it. I had hopes of using one of the RoKu apps (IP Camera Viewer) but even though the NVR is ONVIF 2.4 compliant, it seem to be geared towards direct connection to cameras on your LAN and appear not to work through an NVR.

At the moment my cable plan depends on the distance:

1. 25' - will use a 4K capable copper HDMI cable
2. 40' - will use a optical HDMI cable
3. 80' - will use HDMI Ethernet extender

I have not purchased yet, but looking at these devices:

Splitter:
gofanco PRO-HDRSplit4P

HDMI Extender:
gofanco HD20Ext

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Jesd03, the idea is to have a monitor located near the main door entrance? You would like to view a single camera (front door) or multiple cameras?

Last edited:

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Two things I use:
HDMI over ethernet to a monitor in my office, this has very little video delay.
and an HDMI TV modulator for all TVs in the house.

The modulator connects to the TV aerial wiring and all TVs in the house pick it up as another TV channel. It's simple enough for the family to use, they just change to the channel.

I did not go down to HDMI over ethernet for every TV. Mainly because I'd have to wire to each TV and have multiple receivers using power.
I also went for standard HDMI over Ethernet because delay varies on HDMI over IP devices.

I should also mention; you can get modulators that take a stream over IP. An admin had mentioned about a unit which could take two IP streams and output as two TV channels.
Modulators rise in price when you add more channels!

As for a screen at your front door, you could use a small TV designed for caravans/boats. It takes HDMI or TV antenna.

jesd03

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Jesd03, the idea is to have a monitor located near the main door entrance? You would like to view a single camera (front door) or multiple cameras?
I will be viewing 6-7 cameras in total. Yes plan is to have it near the entrance.

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
unless the nvr has several hdmi outputs, the output signal could be defined as single or multiple cameras. If installing a tv at a remote location, you could assign an android box (app for your sytem) or an small factor NVR (no need for hard drive), installed behind/near the tv. That would be about the same price if you decided for the long run active hdmi cabling or cat5/6 modulator/demodulator + splitter. For the remote NVR (old dahua in my case), an USB wireless adapter (GUi>Network>Wireless) or a wireless NVR will work. The Android box or a separate NVR is your best option for viewing different cameras from the main source. If using an Android box, disable the sleep mode (check spec’s). Otherwise, better use a separate 24/7 dedicated NVR

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you decide to go for the hdmi extenders, there is one sender to multiple receivers units. I use the MiraBox HD over IP transceivers. You will need a separate 10/100 switcher between your new extenders network. Since you will be using only 2 pairs of cabling (10/100), the extra pairs allows for IR controller (cameras selection), or in my case providing wired internet to other rooms (of course connected to my router)

6BFB4983-8CC4-4575-BFC2-4E02A835674B.jpeg

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

dusan_h

n3wb
Reaction score
I bought 20m long optical HDMI 2.0 4k cable and 20m usb 2.0 extension cable for mouse.
Works well on my 28" monitor delivering 4k@60Hz via NVR Hikvison 7608ni-i2/8p.

Cost me ~£54, but no need for extra power adapters, cables...etc and no loss in pic. quality.