NVR DS-7604NI-E1 / 4P/A

ygeffens

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi

I have an nvr (DS-7604NI-E1 / 4P/A).
I have a location where I only have one network cable, but I want to connect 2 camera's.
I tried adding a switch behind one of the 4 ports, and I connected both camera's to the switch. But only one camera is recognised in the configuration panel (the one that I connected directly to the nvr at first - the other one is not seen).

What am I doing wrong?

All camera's are Hikvision, no other brand in the mix.
All ports are responding when I connect 4 camera's in total, to each port one. The moment I connect 2 camera's behind a switch (it's a PoE switch), it's not working as I was hoping.

Yves

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The NVR is only expecting one camera on each port, using a switch in front of it won't work like that. Have you considered using a ethernet splitter instead of a switch? I'm not sure how it works with PoE, but if you run the camera in 100mbit mode it doesn't use all the wires in the ethernet cable, allowing two devices to run on the same ethernet cable.

pghcamman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You have two options. Plug second camera directly to nvr just make a patch cable and activate. It should get an ip from the nvr and come up then you can plug back into switch. Or use sadp tool to manually activate, just plugging into switch won't activate it.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm running 2 cameras on a single cable using the 2 unused pairs for the 2nd camera. As mentioned above, 100 mbit ethernet uses only 2 of the 4 pairs. There are 2 types of poe delivery. poe switches usually use the 2-pair standard where the power is sent over the data pairs. poe injectors generally use the 2 unused pairs for power delivery. poe powered devices support both standards. I built a custom 3-headed cable for each end. 2 of the connectors plug into the switch, with the 3rd connecting to the cable going to the cameras. At the camera end there's an opposite 3-headed cable to split the cable from the switch to the 2 cameras. I think there are splitters that do this available to buy, it's just darn hard to tell which ones send data on the unused pairs vs. the ones that simply split the single data stream into 2 connectors.