NVR in for RMA. Xmas Contingency.

Barboots

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
As mentioned elsewhere my NVR 4116HS-4KS2 mainboard is in for warranty assessment. However even if approved for replacement will not be back before I go on holidays. Then there's always the chance the replacement will be declined. The fault is that the NVR immediately overloads any power supply connected to it. Yes, I have tried a few >2A supplies.

I am currently using PC NVR to record, but I am not really comfortable leaving my everyday Winbox running whilst away. Remote access is also proving to be a hassle.

So I am considering buying another NVR to either sell if I get warranty, or use as a replacement if it is declined. Unfortunately my exact machine is not in stock, so I either need to buy "up" or "down". The "down" machine NVR4116-4KS2 actually appears totally identical on paper and price, but it's in the small format housing which... I dunno... seems downmarket. I'm still comparing because I'm told it's not just the housing which differs, and that concerns me. The "up" machine NVR4216-4KS2 has an additional drive interface which is useful to me, and more throughput plus Gigabit which I don't need... but is almost double the price.

With regard to selling stuff in the local market, I'd say the lowest cost per channel machine would be the safest bet. I really expect my board to be warranted, but can't get much guidance on that. If I'm going to end up with a different NVR, I'd rather go up a notch, but by the same token I'd rather not spend more because I'm happy with what I've got (had). I can't determine what functionality, if any, I'd lose if I ended up having to use the 4116HS-4KS2 permanently.

What would you do? Any guidance appreciated, as I need to make a decision within 8 hours if I'm going to have an NVR over Christmas holidays.

Cheers, Steve

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Those are usually switching supplies, not linear, and will crowbar (shutdown output) quickly if overloaded or shorted.

If it's 12VDC, try powering another 12VDC device that draws less than the rating on the power supply; if the LED shuts of with it, I'd say you have a bad external power supply. If it powers up the device, try another device closer in current draw (Amps) to your NVR; if it shuts off, it's the external power supply, if it powers that device up, it's likely a bad NVR.

Barboots

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Tony I've run two >2A supplies on both the NVR and a 20W halogen. Fault follows NVR.

Due to time restraints I'm going to grab the lesser/equal NVR and (hopefully) re-sell it when my board comes back. I'm getting the impression that it will be warrantied.

Typing my question probably cleared up my decision

Cheers, Steve