Nvr, internal p/s 53volts?

Reaction score
The power supply in my qsee nvr died. as I explore upgrade/replacement options, I'm hoping to get it working again. The power supply is a atx. Should be 12v 5v 3v . Label says 12v 53v. I suspect a typo/ poor translation. Can anyone shed light on this thanks.

Attachments

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
It has to be a typo.

I did a search on the model number and it's a standard 300w ATX PSU. You can replace it with any other ATX PSU that is >=300W.

Edit: It may even be a Flex ATX. I can't tell since I can't find the exact specs on its size. You may have to measure or compare it to another ATX PSU you have on hand.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1^^.
53VDC for POE and 12VDC for 3.5" hard drives; the NVR board has its own regulators down from 12 to 5VDC and as needed.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
-53VDC for PoE? Normal PoE is 48V and PoE+ is 57VDC but all positive.

That's a new one for me.

Reaction score
Can't even find a atx power supply with a 53v output. The ones I found under original part number don't show specs. Since power supply is dead, I can't meter it and have no prints to confirm 53v.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
One option if there is room in the case, or even have it outside the case, would be to use a 48v power brick for the PoE supply.
These are low cost and widely available.
Not so pretty - but functional.

Also - you could power up the NVR with 12v only and check if it boots OK, which would give some confidence that a dead power supply is the cause of the problem.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Its gotta be a proprietary PSU.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
-53VDC for PoE? Normal PoE is 48V and PoE+ is 57VDC but all positive.
A PoE power supply in an NVR or switch can be either positive or negative relative to ground, it just depends on how the power sourcing equipment circuitry is implemented.
The PD (powered device) is isolated from ground so so it matters not which set of the ethernet pairs is near ground potential.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Have you opened the PSU up to see if you can see something obvious like a blown cap?

When the PSU in my Dell managed switch went it turned out to be a small start up capacitor that had died, replaced it and the switch fired back into life.