NVR/ IP cameras- Setting up static ips and proper subnets

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So, due to the different ranges of ip addresses and subnets provided by different internet provider ( IE comcast vs verizon etc ) I typically leave everything on DHCP until I have everything working on the network and then just change everything over to static with the current settings. I understand this may be a sloppy way to do this as the ip addresses will be typically all over the place.

I would like to start setting up static ips and subnets while bench testing but my knowledge of networking is pretty basic. So i'm hoping you guys can verify I have this correct.

Say the static IP address of the gateway is 50.212.10.1
I would/could then set the NVR IP to 50.212.1.250
and set all cameras to 50.212.1.1 - 50.212.1.249

With this configuration I would still have the ability to access the nvr and cameras through a networked computer without the need to modify my NIC IP correct?

I guess what I am really asking is am I ok as long as I only edit the last two segments for example, anything after the 50.212.

Last edited:

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
The ip addr is important. But equally important is the ip mask. The mask must support address ranges from 50.212.1.xxx to 50.212.10.xxx
Or if you want to tighten it up, support a range from 50.212.1.1 to 50.212.10.255.

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The ip addr is important. But equally important is the ip mask. The mask must support address ranges from 50.212.1.xxx to 50.212.10.xxx
Or if you want to tighten it up, support a range from 50.212.1.1 to 50.212.10.255.
Are you referring to the subnet mask? Its 255.255.255.252 according to the paperwork. I am not on the network to check.

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ok, so I tried to set up everything with compatible static IP addresses on my test bench but ran into a problem. The NVR is a 16 port 32 channel so 7 (23 in total) of the cameras have to be on a separate Poe switch.

The 16 that it directly plugged in show up fine via the NVR. The seven that are connected through the poe switch show up on Device search and I am able to add them but the video does not show. Is this because my network doesn't match the IP addresses of the cameras??

I'm also not able to access the cameras GUI via a browser even after temporarily changing my network card IP to match the IP addresses of the cameras.

I'm most likely making a simple noob mistake so any suggestions will be helpful.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Where is the 50.212.10.1 address coming from? Are you setting that internally via your own DHCP or are you getting that IP info from Comcast? A quick WHOIS check shows that network is owned by Comcast. So if your NVR is occupying that IP, it's also directly on the Internet???

cepler

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
a you don't state what netmask you're trying to use but to get x.x1.x thru x.x.10.x on the same network you would need a /20 subnet which would cover 0 thru 15 in the third octet. That's 255.255.240.0

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Where is the 50.212.10.1 address coming from? Are you setting that internally via your own DHCP or are you getting that IP info from Comcast? A quick WHOIS check shows that network is owned by Comcast. So if your NVR is occupying that IP, it's also directly on the Internet???
I was using that as an example as to not disclose the networks static IP to the internet. The NVR IP was not set up using that IP.

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
a you don't state what netmask you're trying to use but to get x.x1.x thru x.x.10.x on the same network you would need a /20 subnet which would cover 0 thru 15 in the third octet. That's 255.255.240.0
I'm sorry, like I said I only know the basics of networking. I honestly up to this point had no idea what the subnet mask was for . On the nvr I used a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 so I should change this?

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ok, so here are all of the settings.
As you can see in the cameras registration, the cameras on the POE switch are being detected but when I click on the "live" icon it gives me an error "cannot find the network host".
Even after I add the cameras the video boxes on the LIVE page show "Can not find the network host" but the cameras connected directly to the NVR show up with no problems.
I also posted the NVR switch settings

PXL_20201010_144751941.jpgPXL_20201010_144937505.jpgPXL_20201010_145150589.jpgPXL_20201010_150012617.jpg

I'm sure it's something simple, I'm just not sure what...

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Ok, so here are all of the settings.
As you can see in the cameras registration, the cameras on the POE switch are being detected but when I click on the "live" icon it gives me an error "cannot find the network host".
Even after I add the cameras the video boxes on the LIVE page show "Can not find the network host" but the cameras connected directly to the NVR show up with no problems.
I also posted the NVR switch settings

View attachment 72359View attachment 72360View attachment 72361View attachment 72362

I'm sure it's something simple, I'm just not sure what...
Still confused as to why you are using that address space. Aren't these devices behind a router? If so, they should all be on private RFC-1918 space - i.e. 10.X.X.X or 172.X.X.X or 192.X.X.X. That IP space pictured in your attachments is public.

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Still confused as to why you are using that address space. Aren't these devices behind a router? If so, they should all be on private RFC-1918 space - i.e. 10.X.X.X or 172.X.X.X or 192.X.X.X. That IP space pictured in your attachments is public.
I thought in order for local computers to be able to access the NVR via the network that the NVR had to have an IP address in the range of the networks IP?

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
I thought in order for local computers to be able to access the NVR via the network that the NVR had to have an IP address in the range of the networks IP?
I'm not following your statement. Also, looking at your pics, the subnet mask doesn't appear to be the same across these screens. I'm not sure what I'm looking at as you haven't labeled them so, I am assuming one is the NVR and the others are the cameras? Also - what is the IP ending in 7.1? You have that listed as the IP address and the gateway.

mask2.jpgmask1.jpggateway.jpg

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
There are two networks involved. The big internet, which is a public network, and your network or local network/LAN, which is a private space. Your local network is accessed through your router, supplied usually by your ISP. The network addresses of devices in your local network do not need to be hidden. They are "shielded" by your router. The address of your router is the only address that needs to be hidden from general public viewing. As long as your cameras are on a network recognized by your NVR they will be seen by it. Generally, an NVR assigns addresses on its own, using DHCP, so assigning IP addresses manually to your cameras is not a particularly good idea. Again in general terms, an NVR will accept a DHCP IP assignment for its LAN port, for example 192.168.x.x so it can be accessed on your local network/LAN and assign the cameras addresses in the 10.x.x.x range. This blocks the cameras from even seeing your local LAN.

You are over thinking the whole thing.

Last edited:

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm not following your statement. Also, looking at your pics, the subnet mask doesn't appear to be the same across these screens. I'm not sure what I'm looking at as you haven't labeled them so, I am assuming one is the NVR and the others are the cameras? Also - what is the IP ending in 7.1? You have that listed as the IP address and the gateway.

View attachment 72363View attachment 72364View attachment 72365
One is the NVR the other is the NVR internal POE switch. I don't know why I had the gateway and IP as the same on the NVR switch...

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Having your network gear and/or NVR setup on an IP addressing scheme that's public is not a good idea, You should be set up more so like my pic. It's a basic high-level explanation. First, you have an Internet connection from your ISP. You should have some sort of modem/router setup for that. On the outside, to the rest of the internet, that connection should be the only one with that 50.212.X.X address. Your switches, NVR, and cameras should have IP addressing in the private range. Do you have any layout drawn out of what your network looks like? That would be helpful.