NVR killed another WD Purple hard drive

Lance

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is the third WD Purple 4TB hard drive that is now a brick. Luckily they have a decent warranty on them. So far the longest one has lasted me is about 6 months. Anyone else have this issue? They are installed in a Dahua 4216 NVR. Also I had them set up to be redundant, hoping that if one went bad, the NVR would stay running and just save to the working one, but it won't boot with one good HDD and one bad one. Whats the point of having redundant HDD then?

Also I called WD and asked them to upgrade my replacement to a Purple NV model, which is supposed to be designed for NVRs. Maybe it will last longer than 6mo.

NVR firmware is 3.200.0000.3.R, is there a newer version that might work better with one bad hard drive?

Lance

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
On a side note, it bricked the hard drive when it auto-rebooted. Should I turn off the weekly auto-reboot function?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yes disable auto maintain features unless you absolutely need them to work around an issue.

Ive got a 4TB purple thats been running solid for well over a year.. NV model wont help your situation.

do you have a UPS on it? what is your NVR installed in, is there any vibration from people walking or trucks/planes?

Lance

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, I have a Cyberpower OR500LCDRM1U UPS, as well as a Cyberpower CPS-1215RMS Surge protector/power strip. No vibrations except for the built in fan on the NVR. It's just sitting in a closet on the shelf.

Lance

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Would I be able to buy another identical NVR and set it up on the same network, viewing and recording the same cameras? Basically as a backup to the one I have now? Also would be physically separated and used to view the cams on HDMI to my TV.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Would I be able to buy another identical NVR and set it up on the same network, viewing and recording the same cameras? Basically as a backup to the one I have now? Also would be physically separated and used to view the cams on HDMI to my TV.
This should work fine with most cameras.

marid2apterbilt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This should work fine with most cameras.
Yes, Note the time stamps may differ over time, 1 sec a day or so. Also any motion detect settings changes must be done in the cam web ui.
Be sure to change the IP of the NVR, If it has 2 Lan ports change both as not to conflict with 1st NVR.

Lance

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Another dead hard drive today. This is getting old. Had a power outage and the battery backup ran for 45 min then shut everything off. When the power came back on, the NVR wouldn't boot. Disconnected one of the drives and it fired right up.

No one else has this issue?