NVR Location & Sound Proofing

Chocman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've got my new system and configured the cameras to the NVR, installed HDD & even managed to sort web access out ! The system is running, albeit laid out on my lounge floor, but it's working :)

Next decision is where to site the NVR and I'd welcome views and thoughts from all with any experience please. It's a Domestic house location, not a office, so I'm doing all that's needed and paying for it too...

I've a Dahua NVR5216-16P-4KS2E

I've several considerations:

1. NVR is relatively noisy so it needs to be tucked away, could it be located in the loft?

2. If it were in a 'remote' location, like a loft area, does the web interface generally allow full access to the NVR? I dont want to have to be going up into the loft, with a monitor, just to change a setting

2. Has anyone any suggestions on metal cages that NVR's can be placed in that can be secured to walls etc so the NVR can't easily be stolen in the event of burglary?

3. Has anyone suggestions on sound proofing whilst maintaining enough air flow to keep the NVR cool?

4. It cant be next to the router (that's in my lounge and I dont want the NVR there in easy view plus too much noise) and I cant easily run a cat cable to it (wherever it ends up), so do you think setting up an access point would work from the NVR to the house router? So effectively making it 'wireless' within the LAN. I've never done this, but Youtube will explain all!

As always, many thanks in advance.

Chocman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@giomania thank you - that's an interesting thread, I've just read it, so the fix isn't straightforward. :(

It's difficult to guage whether the excessive noise is coming from the fan itself or air flow of course. Any thoughts?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've got my new system and configured the cameras to the NVR, installed HDD & even managed to sort web access out ! The system is running, albeit laid out on my lounge floor, but it's working :)

Next decision is where to site the NVR and I'd welcome views and thoughts from all with any experience please. It's a Domestic house location, not a office, so I'm doing all that's needed and paying for it too...

I've a Dahua NVR5216-16P-4KS2E

I've several considerations:

1. NVR is relatively noisy so it needs to be tucked away, could it be located in the loft?

2. If it were in a 'remote' location, like a loft area, does the web interface generally allow full access to the NVR? I dont want to have to be going up into the loft, with a monitor, just to change a setting

2. Has anyone any suggestions on metal cages that NVR's can be placed in that can be secured to walls etc so the NVR can't easily be stolen in the event of burglary?

3. Has anyone suggestions on sound proofing whilst maintaining enough air flow to keep the NVR cool?

4. It cant be next to the router (that's in my lounge and I dont want the NVR there in easy view plus too much noise) and I cant easily run a cat cable to it (wherever it ends up), so do you think setting up an access point would work from the NVR to the house router? So effectively making it 'wireless' within the LAN. I've never done this, but Youtube will explain all!

As always, many thanks in advance.
1-if by loft you mean attic, then NO.
2-Yes, better than the nvr's interface.
3-The mod already linked above. This is why many folks choose the Non-Poe version nvr, then use a POE switch. Much less noise.
4-No, use cable.

Chocman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@looney2ns Thanks very much, very helpful and appreciated.

I've found a suitable location for the NVR which I can sound proof, so I won't need any mods to fans thankfully as that seemed way outside my skill set, but I also can't connect via cable for all sorts of reasons.

I've no choice but to try and figure out a way of wirelessly connecting the NVR to my house router - there must be a way??

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
For the configuration/change settings, especially with Dahua ones, use SmartPSS (https://dahuawiki.com/images/Software/SmartPSS/General_SMARTPSS-Win32_ChnEng_IS_V2.002.0000007.0.R.181023.zip)! It is excellent in "replay" (eg find IVS/tripwires/... in timeline view), but also in configuring all the whistles on your cams (eg IVS triplines, directions etc).

As long as your cams are connected directly to your NVR, playback over Powerlines might work well, but not streaming 4 HD streams simultanously.

Hope this helps!
CC