NVR noise

sward-uk

n3wb
Reaction score
I am new to this forum and the user of a 7 camera system going into a DS-7608NI-I2/8P. I just moved it to my office but the consistent fan noise is just not acceptable. I've looked at fan replacement and also maybe using a power brick (which looks preferable). I could even change to a new silent recorder but thought it wise to ask wiser people than me!

I would be grateful for suggestions of;

1. the best method or solution for dealing with this.

2. If I went down a new, silent NVR route, what would you suggest?

I am not a great fan of HikVision as they are not particularly intuitive, so I would be happy to keep the cameras but change the system. I have them all running through IP addresses and operating out of a smart switch about 75 meters away from the NVR

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am new to this forum and the user of a 7 camera system going into a DS-7608NI-I2/8P. I just moved it to my office but the consistent fan noise is just not acceptable. I've looked at fan replacement and also maybe using a power brick (which looks preferable). I could even change to a new silent recorder but thought it wise to ask wiser people than me!

I would be grateful for suggestions of;

2. If I went down a new, silent NVR route, what would you suggest?

I am not a great fan of HikVision as they are not particularly intuitive, so I would be happy to keep the cameras but change the system. I have them all running through IP addresses and operating out of a smart switch about 75 meters away from the NVR
Welcome @sward-uk

Some have tried more expensive fans .. search the forum for Noctua ( a fan brand which some have tried )

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd check the intakes for dust. The cover may need to be removed and the system simply blown out with an air compressor.

After that, you could look at a fan replacement. The problem is most of those units use pretty small fans and small fans are noisy in general. They have to run at a higher speed than a larger fan to move the same volume of air which makes them louder.

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
And why would you put this noisy device in your office? I understand correctly that the cam POE is not supplied by the NVR but from the switch?
In this case, move the NVR to where the switch is and use your office PC to monitor the NVR.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
DS-7608NI-I2/8P is, indeed, a PoE NVR.

+1 on the Noctua fans. -Or- consider relocating the NVR and all the wiring, and use the alternatives for monitoring the live feeds & recorded footage

sward-uk

n3wb
Reaction score
And why would you put this noisy device in your office? I understand correctly that the cam POE is not supplied by the NVR but from the switch?
In this case, move the NVR to where the switch is and use your office PC to monitor the NVR.
That was the setup but I really dislike the whole HikVision setup and iVMS is even worse than using the NVR software directly. The same applies to the browser that won’t even recall the live view setup.

chances are that I am just too novice with this but I think HV was designed by engineers for engineers and not general end users.

I would be quite happy to move to a different NVR brand (as long as I keep the existing cameras through IP). Any suggestions there?

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well, what fans are inside? I suspect you have two fans, one with the PSU and one either on the CPU or blowing into the case (or out of the case).

I do have the same problem as you do. I do however have a non POE NVR which only has a case fan. First thing I did was to open the case to unplug it and put a Noctua in. If I had decided to keep it in my office, I would have used a big silent PC case fan and mounted it somewhow over the CPU. Then apply some metal mesh for shielding and keep the thing out of sight.
As I found the remote software (either PC-app or web interface) quite OK to use, I'll just move it to where the switch is and monitor it remotely. I did find the web interface somewhat easier to use than the pc-software. I suspect your NVR has a web interface too?

It would help people here if you tell what kind/brand of cameras you run.

sward-uk

n3wb
Reaction score
It would help people here if you tell what kind/brand of cameras you run.
HikVision turret cameras and speed dome PTZ.

Yup, 2 fans and I already disconnected the case fan as it is in a cool place.

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Do you have several patch cables between the switch and your room? Or just one?

If so, what about this alternative:

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
Another +1 for the Noctura fans. I replaced both fans in my Dahua NVR with Noctura fans and all I hear is air moving now.

My NVR is in the bedroom.

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As the NVR does not generate POE, he may get away with a noctua on slow.
They are not cheap but come with a lot of connecting helpers.

Also, air moving through a grid can be loud still. It is just not as enervating...

Last edited:

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
As the NVR doesn not generate POE, he may get away with a noctua on slow.
They are not cheap but come with a lot of connecting helpers.

Also, air moving through a grid can be loud still. It is just not as enervating...
I've considered cutting out the grid and replacing it with a grid that allows better airflow and less noise.

And, yes, I was very impressed with the cables and connectors that came with the Noctua fans. Neat little splice kit with the buttons. Couldn't be easier or clear to install. Just too much packaging for my taste.

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've considered cutting out the grid and replacing it with a grid that allows better airflow and less noise.
With a 4cm fan, I'd leave that hole.

And, yes, I was very impressed with the cables and connectors that came with the Noctua fans. Neat little splice kit with the buttons. Couldn't be easier or clear to install. Just too much packaging for my taste.
They have to give some justification why you pay double digit $ for a cent article.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
With a 4cm fan, I'd leave that hole.

They have to give some justification why you pay double digit $ for a cent article.
Yes, maybe leaving it cut out would be better. No one puts their hands near it but me to make sure the air is still flowing. lol