NVR Not Stable

Fanwasy

n3wb
Reaction score
I have installed 8 Hikvision IP camera with two NVR's DS-7608NI-SE connected via Cat6 Ethernet cable and POE switch the cable lengths between cameras, NVR's and switch from 45m to 100m.
NVR1 connected to all cameras and is stable. But NVR2 connected to the cameras but not stable from time to time some cameras were disconnected and reconnect again, and so .
Is there any advise or recommendation to solve this issue ?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
two NVR's DS-7608NI-SE
Do both NVRs have the same firmware installed?
But NVR2 connected to the cameras but not stable
Both NVRs connected to the same 8 cameras?
If so, have you ensured that the camera configuration settings in both NVRs are identical for the same cameras?
Both NVRs will be periodically refreshing the configurations on the cameras, which can give rise to some contention especially if there are differences in key areas such as resolution or frame rate.
As an experiment, would it be feasible to shut down NVR1 to see if NVR2 becomes stable?

Also - what Ethernet connection modes are the NVRs connected with?
For 8 cameras being pulled by 2 NVRs, the NVRs should ideally be connected at 1000Mpbs, and in particular the PoE switch uplink should also be a Gigabit connection due to the aggregate traffic.
I'm assuming here that the NVRs, and PoE switch all connect to a core network device.
8 cameras at 4-8Mbps per camera, with 2 unicast feeds coming off each camera would be too much for a 100Mbps switch uplink.

Fanwasy

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for replay.

All IP cameras are the same 3Mb each one, POE switch: PLANET GSW 1600HP 16 port 10/100/1000 Mbps, what is your advise to resolve the issue.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, the switch sounds more than capable, with Gigabit all round.
The reason I mentioned the camera configs on the NVRs was that I recently replaced an old 2032 with a DS-2CD2232-I5 as the spiders were starting to get active again.
Normally the cameras and the NVRs are rock solid - and this camera was OK during testing, but after I mounted it there would be gaps and disconnections and flashing video on one NVR (the camera was being pulled by 2 NVRs and QNAP Surveillance Station).
It turned out I'd reloaded an older configuration on one of the NVRs from when I'd been messing about with the camera, so the NVRs were clashing in setting up the camera, which it reacted badly to.
But if you've checked all the settings are the same - it's not likely to be that.

I'd suggest a bit of empirical work.
Change something and see what happens, for example temporarily shut down NVR1 and see if that affects NVR2.

pghcamman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
why 2 nvr's and all cameras connected to both? you are working the equipment and network way harder than needed. plus you have a 16 port switch. all you need is the switch and 1 nvr. you probably don't have the bandwith to run 2 nvr's.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
you probably don't have the bandwith to run 2 nvr's.
It's a Gigabit switch.
8 cameras will even in aggregate only be maybe 50Mbps to each NVR, just 5% of what's possible. With the ports the cameras are on running at under 0.5% Plenty of bandwidth.

pghcamman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm talking network speeds to see the cameras remotely not the switch. set up still makes no sense regardless of your numbers. somewhere its not being distributed well or it would not be unstable.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
A 16 port Gigabit switch as the core makes perfect sense. What could be better?
And the OP's problem statement is about LAN problems, not WAN performance.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
try swapping power supplies between your NVR's and see if the other one suddenly becomes unstable..

try backup the config from working one and restore it to problem one?

next, the disks.. only way to isolate the source is to rule everything else out.. luckily you have two, and one works fine.. so move what you can between the two and see if the problem follows.. one a time tho.