NVR or Computer in Gun Safe

Reaction score
I recently purchased a gun safe that has 2 USB's and a RJ45 pass though as well as 120V. I haven't yet decided between a NVR or a computer with Blue Iris. Could I simply put the computer or the NVR inside the safe or would I need to leave them outside and somehow mirror a hard drive in the safe.

My Googling has found 2 arguments pro and con about this. One is that it would generate too much heat and the other argument is that you put a heating rod in there anyway to remove humidity and prevent rust so it may as well be a computer/NVR generating that heat.

I've checked the forums here and haven't found much regarding this. I was wondering if anyone else is actually storing their data inside their gun safe and how they are doing it.

As always thanks for the advice

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In my opinion a computer is going to turn your gun safe into an oven. I'd put a computer and a thermometer in there and dry-run (har!) it bro.

Last edited by a moderator:

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
NVR puts off much less heat then a PC which is going to require more air movement especially for processor cooling. I have placed NVR's in closed/locked security boxes as well as server cabinets with no issues. I would be totally comfortable with placing an NVR in the safe. If the safe is sealed and fire rated I would be concerned with placing a pull blown PC inside running BI which will utilize the processor 24/7 and running the machine warm/consistently 24/7. At the same time your point regarding the heating rod makes sense.

MacNCheese

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a Dahua 4116 NVR and it does get pretty hot - I wouldn't want to see it in an enclosed small space.

Have you thought of having an PC outside with a connection to an external drive or NAS in the safe?

Rudyjr

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a good friend with a large gun safe and he had to heat it to keep the humidity down. I would think what Zero-defense said about the NVR would make sense as being a good solution and secure.

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
As long as you put the computer into Safe mode when booting up.....Sorry, I had to. I honestly would not do this, unless the safe is really big, a computer is going to heat it up a lot. Plus it's adding risk of a fire inside your safe, which is the last place you need one. Me personally, I wouldn't even want an NVR in my safe, but you could always try it out for a little bit and just monitor the temperature inside the safe. The outlet / RJ45 jacks inside safes are typically made for NAS', backup drives, etc.

BTW I use this inside my gun safe for humidity control - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H0XFD2

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe...putting an nvr or a computer into a gunsafe is a little bit overboard fatdogsdaddy.

Reaction score
I like your humor Mike! Thanks everyone for your input, looks like I'll need to do a little research on NAS and backup drives. Just don't want some turd to be able to unplug and walk out the door with the evidence of their activities.

MacNCheese

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I created a false ceiling in my wardrobe for my NVR and NAS. There's power and data up there I have a ceiling made out of plasterboard that I can lift up. No one would ever know it's there.

I'd take a photo but it's all in pieces at the moment because I got fiber installed and the termination point is also in there too.

gotaudi

n3wb
Reaction score
Locking server cabinet bolted to the ground. Search craigslist I bought a Middle Atlantic 24U locking server cabinet for like $60 a while ago. Its pretty often around here in Socal and keeps my servers, and rack switches and UPS all nice and neat. Its not impossible to get into but if they want to get to it so bad then nothing is going to stop them.

Reaction score
Is it relatively simple to have a NVR or Blue Iris write to a NAS or backup drive? I'm fairly computer literate, I just have no experience with NVRs or BI.

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Too much heat imo.

Either use a NAS or one of the small Intel Nec PCs and simply hide it somewhere in the house. No thief is chasing network runs around trying to figure out where your PC is. My cams write images only (pic for video) real time as a back up to a hard drive attached to a router and the router is hidden on a separate floor from the rest of the network stuff. It is in a basket in my laundry room so nobody would ever think to look in it.

frankred

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How about finding a way to bolt your PC/NVR to something? A bracket securing your PC/NVR with Tamper Proof Torx bits should work.