NVR recommendations needed

Zolcsi

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I am trying to build an IP camera system for my home and I'm a little bit stuck.
What I would like to have is 4 of these cameras:
IPC2124SR3-DPF36(60)(120)—Zhejiang Uniview Technologies Co., Ltd. specification

Right now I have one of it and it's working great, so I plan to buy 3 more of them.
My original plan was to connect them to a desktop server and configure it as an NVR, but it turned out to consume too much energy (100+Watts), so I decided to use a dedicated NVR instead. And that's where I got stuck.
I need an NVR that is capable of decoding 4 cameras at 4MP resolution with 25fps each. I know that this is about 100 mbps. But my the cameras are capable of using the h.265 codec, which would significantly decrease the bandwidth while still keeping the resolution high. So with h.265 the bandwidth would be about 20 mbps (rough estimate). But what I do not know is that an NVR with an incoming bandwidth limit of 40 mbps is capable of decoding 4 channels @4MP using h.265? My guess is not.

So could you recommend me some good quality NVR that can do this task? POE is a plus, but the important thing is the decoding capability. And I would like to reach it over the internet as well to watch the cameras live. Also, I'd like to record everything and mark the events when motion occurred. So it is semi-motion detection. Record everything but tell me when something happened (I do not trust motion detection enough to not record at all when no motion is detected). But this last one is not required, only good to have.

I've found some NVRs that might be good but I am not familiar with them so every recommendation/tip is welcome.
My ideas are:
Network Video Recorder NVR216 | Synology Inc. (that is a little bit overpriced for my budget)
NVR302-E-B—Zhejiang Uniview Technologies Co., Ltd. specification
NVR202EP—Zhejiang Uniview Technologies Co., Ltd. specification (this is a little bit of a compromise, only 20fps would be available)

That's all so far... :)

thanks,
Zoltan

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Any of them from Dahua or Hikvision. Keep the cameras the same brand as the NVR.

Search is your friend, tons of info here for the search.