NVR Record Schedule Settings: does the 'Alarm' definition change?

wayguk

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am trying to get my head around the NVR GUI. It appears that the term 'Alarm' is used interchangeably between:
- event triggers an 'alarm' aka an action/email/record command
- input/output alarm device

What I would like to do (and need your assistance with) is schedule my recordings to trigger based on events (basic and smart) such as motion(basic), intursion(smart) and line-crossing(smart).

the options available are: Continuous; Motion; Alarm; Motion | Alarm; Motion & Alarm; Event

Is there a true definition of each of the above available?

I understand continuous and motion.

However I cannot understand:

Alarm: IS THIS 'Alarm' REFERRING TO INPUT/OUTPUT ALARM ACCESSORIES or not?
Motion | Alarm: IS THIS 'Alarm' REFERRING TO INPUT/OUTPUT ALARM ACCESSORIES or not?
Motion & Alarm: IS THIS 'Alarm' REFERRING TO INPUT/OUTPUT ALARM ACCESSORIES or not?
Event: WHAT IS THIS REFERRING TO?

My goal is to reduce false positives with motion triggers, and so I wanted to combine the [motion AND line-cross OR motion AND intrusion detection] to trigger record schedule.

I assumed that because line-cross and intrusion detection are both considered smart events and the linkage method 'tick' is checked on 'Trigger Alarm Output' that this would indeed satisfy my [motion AND line-cross OR motion AND intrusion detection] requirement, however it does not record, even though the nvr maintenance logs (filtered by Major Type "ALARM") state that an ALARM event was triggered.

Your input is greatly welcomed :)

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
ALARM is refering to the wired alarm inputs on the backof the unit.
MOTION & ALARM means both have to happen at the same time. There needs to be movement, and a given wired ALARM input has to be triggered.
MOTION | ALARM means either one or the other. It will work if there is movement detection seen on the video, OR if the wired alarm input is triggered.
EVENT is refering to any event seen by the device (via software), like motion detection, intrussion detection, line crossing, etc.

If you have alarm inputs/outputs on the NVR, you could wire from an alarm output to an alarm input. Then have your smart events trigger that alarm output, which in turn would turn a given alarm input. And then use the MOTION & ALARM option to record when both motion detection and smart detection are in place.

wayguk

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for the information.

When I look at the maintenance logs on the nvr I can see a history of log types.
When I filter by "Major Type: ALARM" I get to view all basic and smart event triggered logs.
Does this imply that basic events and smart events are also considered to be "alarms"