'NVR' related question... or not?

Slice

n3wb
Reaction score
So basically i tried out a bunch of opensource NVR's and i got to the point where i realised i don't really need them.
I found out saving my dahua recordings to a FTP server will make it so the camera itself can't playback the footage.
Buying a dahua NVR will fix that issue ofcourse :)

But i think there are other ways around for this.
Shinobi CCTV had a feature where you use the detection system of your own camera (which is by far way more superior).. and can generate triggers/alerts if it receives a ftp file from the camera itself.
Sadly that feature didn't seem to work for me, i tried debugging it, but no luck.

Are there people here that use some kind of NVR that doesn't do any motion detection, but just saves and keeps track of the recordings?

Maybe i am making it myself difficult, a fresh view on things is also welcome.

Slice

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you, i've found out at this point directly opening footage in VLC from within filezilla works well enough....
Except that sometimes a dav file won't play for some reason (80% plays fine). I don't know what might cause this, any idea what that might be?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you, i've found out at this point directly opening footage in VLC from within filezilla works well enough....
Except that sometimes a dav file won't play for some reason (80% plays fine). I don't know what might cause this, any idea what that might be?
Could it be that the player is attempting to view the .dav file while it's still open (still being created or FTP'd) ? :idk:
FWIW, Blue Iris' proprietary .BVR file can be viewed by Blue Iris while it is being created/still open.

Slice

n3wb
Reaction score
Could it be that the player is attempting to view the .dav file while it's still open (still being created or FTP'd) ? :idk:
FWIW, Blue Iris' proprietary .BVR file can be viewed by Blue Iris while it is being created/still open.
Yeah i was thinking something along those lines. It are files that are saved (so they are not being written to). It's not rly common and haven't seen anything weird in the ftp logs.