NVR selection advice

rpdubz

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I've spent countless hours doing research online and am more confused than when I started.

I want a reliable 8 channel NVR for my business. Something with excellent remote access support so I can view cameras / get alerts on both iPhone and Android. HD POE camera support is a must, and the app(s) should support multiple NVRs as I plan to buy a system for my home as well. Finally, I'd like an NVR that comes with clear information as to the cameras it supports. It seems there can be compatibility issues and lots of grey market knock-offs online and I'm quite frankly unsure how to tell what is what or who to buy from to avoid this problem.

Any advice you can provide would be very much appreciated.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Buy a Dahua 4k NVR, with Dahua Cameras.. grey market or not, and enjoy.. iOS/Android/Windows/Mac apps, and setup a VPN Server on your router for secure remote access.

Also buy a 16ch NVR, the price difference between 8ch and 16ch is minimal.. and upgrading later because you want to add a couple of cameras in places you had'nt thought of yet sucks.. even if you just want 5-6 cameras, its advisable to buy a 16ch NVR.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
btw does Longse/Huisun support PTZ function in Dahua NVR like Hikvision does?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It should via ONVIF, but I dunno specifically.. Works fine with the few cheap-o Chinese cameras Ive hooked up to it, but none were PTZ..

as always when you mix-and-match, YMMV.. Dahua is considered by most to have better ONVIF Implementation, but the Huisun's look like they intentionally trying to knockoff Hikvision.. so I'd kinda expect them to make great efforts to ensure it works w/Hikvision NVR.. (is there even a Huisun NVR?)

rpdubz

n3wb
Reaction score
Which app(s) would you recommend to access Dahua NVRs (iOS or Android, we have both)? Also, is the NVR smart enough to configure a lower video resolution for mobile viewing?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The Dahua Apps, gDMSS for Android and iDMSS for iOS..

You use substreams for mobile live viewing, I have mine configured using VBR and minimal bitrate, but if your trying to watch a recording your going to get it in whatever resolution it was saved as.

nhracecraft

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Buy a Dahua 4k NVR, with Dahua Cameras.. grey market or not, and enjoy.. iOS/Android/Windows/Mac apps, and setup a VPN Server on your router for secure remote access.

Also buy a 16ch NVR, the price difference between 8ch and 16ch is minimal.. and upgrading later because you want to add a couple of cameras in places you had'nt thought of yet sucks.. even if you just want 5-6 cameras, its advisable to buy a 16ch NVR.
^^^This....Sage advise right there :cool: