NVR set or a few loose IP cams?

frankred

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi all,
My father in law wants to be able to keep an eye on his work truck and home at night. He doesn't need a lot of bells, whistles, complex alert scenarios etc etc. He also isn't tech savvy. So I think he either needs an NVR kit or a few IPcams that can record to SD cards and do a simple email of snapshots to an email account or folder he only checks if needed (is there an easy way to move clips offsite too?).
He could run any network wires needed but whatever I recommend probably also becomes my baby. If it is an NVR, cable pulling is obviously required, if we use a few loose IP Cams (not connected to a BI server), we might just use nearby AC power sources with DC adapters and start by seeing how wifi works (yes, I know it is hugely advised against. I get that and I can make that clear with him that we might be adding a POE switch. Wifi could be tested before the install.). What route would you recommend?
Thanks!
John

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
pull the stinking wire.. thats what I recommend, if he's willing/capable of doing it then wtf are you even considering wifi for?
Point him at a nice costco system, should be pretty much plug-n-play, low tech, record 24/7/365 and just let it do its thing.. Just get something thats expandable, because ive heard the "oah I just need a camera or two" thing many times, only to want more once they realize there is more than one or two things higher value than a camera laying about.. ie, go straight for a system that can handle at least 8 cameras, 16 preferably.. it costs like 10% more to double the number of cameras supported before buying, costs 110% to fix the mistake later.

frankred

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
pull the stinking wire.. thats what I recommend, if he's willing/capable of doing it then wtf are you even considering wifi for?
Point him at a nice costco system, should be pretty much plug-n-play, low tech, record 24/7/365 and just let it do its thing.. Just get something thats expandable, because ive heard the "oah I just need a camera or two" thing many times, only to want more once they realize there is more than one or two things higher value than a camera laying about.. ie, go straight for a system that can handle at least 8 cameras, 16 preferably.. it costs like 10% more to double the number of cameras supported before buying, costs 110% to fix the mistake later.
Fair enough there Mr. "The Weeknd" ;). I have never really looked into NVR sets. What set would you recommend? We have Sam's Club here. Are there any specs that you use as a minimum in selecting an NVR? Maybe this?

frankred

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@Meir MaSe Miyara recommended I check with Nelly's. When I looked them up, I realized they are based about 3 miles away. I went over and spoke with Steven. He recommended a 7104NI-SN/P or 7104NI-SL/W with 2CD2020-I or 2CD2120F-IW 2142FWD-I. I will talk these options over with my father in law.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Can't beat that for convenience. Best I can do locally is an electrical shop that's great for wiring, connectors, baluns, power supplies, or whatever. Cams and NVRs? Expensive, mediocre, and basically custom order only.