NVR - Should I just get one ?

jerrysimon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok for the last few weeks I have been playing around initially with a cheap Anker indoor web cam and now with the great value clone Hikvision/Huisun PTZ. Now I am hooked :sad2:

I am not over concerned about using them for security and got the PTZ for watching wild life in the garden and unexpectedly did not realise that night time viewing would be so good!

I may set up a camera in my workshop for security together with one in the house but primarily I want to catch movement in the garden maybe at night foxes, badgers hedgehogs etc

The cams have SD card facilities in them, though for the PTZ, iVMC could not see it. I can set it to record in real time on the device I am viewing from but that's about it. I have a Synology NAS and tried to use its surveillance app but its a pain and flaky to get a good connection.

I am primarily using my iMac but have access to Windows 10 via Bootcamp and Vmware. Again the plugins for Safari don't seem to work properly with the Huisun PTZ.

So perhaps you good people could clarify what benefit a NVR would give me :

1. I have been looking at cheap options like this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/WEMELODY-Securaty-Surveillance-Wireless-Recorders/dp/B011SQGT72/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1455706694&sr=8-5&keywords=nvr

Or just get something that would work out the box hopefully like this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hikvision-DS-7604NI-E1-Channel-Inbound-Bandwidth/dp/B00YU6UENI/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1455706742&sr=8-6&keywords=nvr

2. I cant see me having more than four IP cameras and would ensure they were all ONVIF.

3. With iVMS running on my Mac I assume it would connect seamlessly to the Hikvision ?

4. Can I could connect and view the interface of the Hikvision NVR using Safari ?

5. Can I set up remote access to the NVR via my iPhone and iPad etc ?

Regards

Jerry

Last edited by a moderator:

jerrysimon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
After a bit of a google search maybe I should also take a look at security spy as I also have Mac Mini sitting idle under my TV :)

Jerry

jerrysimon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well been playing around with Security Spy on the Mac and I have to say its pretty impressive. At last I seem to have found soemthing that works. Seems to recognise all my cameras PTZ works and motion activation and recording works well too. I need to try it on my Mac Mini.

Its not cheap at around £72 for a four camera license. Cheaper than a dedicated Hikvision NVR.

Regards

Jerry

jerrysimon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well Security Spy is a well designed bit of software and works perfectly on my new iMac. However my 2009 Mac Mini is just not up to job, so I have gone with a dedicated NVR.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00YU6UENI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Price has come down. I went with Amazon (seems to be sold out from them now ?) as easy return etc. This Hikvision seems to have all I need and where I can reach with cable, cameras can be connected via its 4 built in POE ports as well.

Regards

Jerry