NVR Software

ilmrfd

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I was wondering if I could get some recommendations on NVR software for up to 16 3MP cameras running at 5-8 FPS. My boss has green lit Dell Xeon T20's with WD Purple storage drives and a small SSD for Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. I've been checking out Exact, Salient, Milestone, and Blue Iris. Big things would be ease of searching for past events, and mobile device accessibility. No live monitoring of the cameras is to be conducted, only past event review.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What Xeon processor will you be using? The e3-1225 that comes with 499 unit has a benchmark of 6000 which is about equivalent to an i5. That will not be enough for 16 cams on blue iris, although with your low frame rates and using the direct to disk option it may be possible. Blue iris uses lots of processing power because it does it own motion detection processing. You will be better off with milestone which uses in camera motion detection but there will be a per camera license fee. I would go with an i7 business system that should run your cams just fine at those frame rates with BI.

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Your best bet is Milestone XProtect Essential, $49/camera. Don't know anything about Salient and when I tested Exacq, I had issues with it supporting half my cameras, even an Axis camera would not connect and support was arrogant. Like Fenderman says, BlueIris is not going to work on that server, heck, had someone with 12 cameras and he gave up on his i7-4770. People here do it on an i7, but many with reduced frame rates. If you are interested in Milestone, Wrightwood Surveillance is an authorized Milestone partner and BlueIris reseller.

Your best bet is to first download it and try it, you get a 30 day grace period on Milestone or Exacq (14 days on BlueIris).