NVR Suggestions vs. Current System

best0186

n3wb
Reaction score
I recently moved and will be expanding my security camera system. I have been running 5 (HDW2231R-ZS) cameras on a Blue Iris (Version 4) system. (intel (r) Core (tm) i5-7400cpu @ 3.00ghz; 8 GB Ram. This system seemed to work well with the cameras I have been running. I am looking to add up to 7 more cameras (probably IPC-T2231T-ZS). So in total I would have 12 cameras. I am not knowing if my current pc would work for this many cameras, and if BI version 5 would do anything for me.
So, the way I see it would be to set up a new PC or get an NVR. I could honestly go either way. If I were to go with an NVR, I am looking for suggestions on what I need, I would probably lean towards a non POE model as I already have a poe switch.
Thanks.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Go to Blue Iris 5 as it has a substream option that brings the CPU usage down tremendously.

Someone here runs a 4th generation CPU with 50 cameras and the CPU is sub 40%. Yours is much more powerful than that!

Your system will be sub 10% CPU going to BI5 and following all the optimization in the Wiki.

Maybe consider adding another 8GB of RAM, but your computer is more than adequate.

best0186

n3wb
Reaction score
Go to Blue Iris 5 as it has a substream option that brings the CPU usage down tremendously.

Someone here runs a 4th generation CPU with 50 cameras and the CPU is sub 40%. Yours is much more powerful than that!

Your system will be sub 10% CPU going to BI5 and following all the optimization in the Wiki.

Maybe consider adding another 8GB of RAM, but your computer is more than adequate.

Thanks for the Advice!