NVR System Power Consumption considerations

Mlda

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I want to set up a system that will record mainly when the house intruder alarm is armed; I want to avoid power consumption, in my case, most of the time.

From my readings, did I understand right that passive power switches (PS) consume the same whenever. When the nvr/cameras are not recordind (example: in schedulled recording, during non recording hours) do non passive power switches consume power for the cameras or only for the PS basic power consumption?

If I shut the entire system down (power off), do I lose whatever I had set, like schedules, tripwire and MD zones settings, camera settings, VPN/VLAN settings, etc.?

Do cameras, in non recording hours of schedulled recording consume power?

Thanks.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
When you make config changes to the NVR or cameras, it should save your configs so that if you power them down, they'll be present when you power them up.

I've never seen a camera that powers down based on a schedule (or if they're recording or not).

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Non recording cameras still use the same amount of power. If you want to save electricity, eliminate the nvr and just record to SD cards in the cameras.

When everything is working perfectly all settings remain in place on reboot. I've had a camera get finicky over time though and actually default on reboot and it got very problematic. So, it's not always a given. That's why I always disable any reboot schedule for the nvr and cameras. Keep the wheels spinning when all is working well, imo.

Mlda

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you both.

Those are bad news for my ecological footprint. Even if my self-consumption solar array was calculated including my future CCTV system I do not have batteries – yet.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you both.

Those are bad news for my ecological footprint. Even if my self-consumption solar array was calculated including my future CCTV system I do not have batteries – yet.
why do you care about the power consumption of a couple of cams? they use about 2-7w on average even with ir on..

Mlda

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I care for every Watt I use. My country already has an ecological deficit but we have to invert that trend. Multiply 2-7W by 2 or 3 cameras and then multiply the result by the number of houses in your country. Now assume that every house on the planet has the same right/pretension of having those 2 or 3 cameras and you'll get where I am... and I'm thinking of 10 cams only for my house.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I care for every Watt I use. My country already has an ecological deficit but we have to invert that trend. Multiply 2-7W by 2 or 3 cameras and then multiply the result by the number of houses in your country. Now assume that every house on the planet has the same right/pretension of having those 2 or 3 cameras and you'll get where I am... and I'm thinking of 10 cams only for my house.
oh god...your mind has been manipulated by environatzi's...you do realize that most people are still using incandescent bulbs? so just send a free 1 dollar LED bulb to someone and you'll offset your usage and then some. the 10-15w your cameras use 24/7 is a joke...please...
Here is exactly what will happen, you will have an incident while your system is off trying to save the planet...the planet will be just fine...

Last edited:

Mlda

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This is getting way off topic, and soon will be discussing politics and policies. So it's my last post on the matter.

My background studies are environmental engineering. Not environment fundamentalism. Engineers use science and technology to solve practical problems and that allows us to have a better life quality. Our current level of knowledge allows us to do so much better. We only have to do it differently and faster than we're doing it.

I just open my eyes and do not see anymore around me some species I used to see when I was a kid.

I also don't think I'm entitled to have a lifestyle that, if everybody else on the planet had, would make us needing much more than 1 planet Earth. I don't have the right to usurp what is not mine and others are already and rightfully claiming what is also theirs.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
This is getting way off topic, and soon will be discussing politics and policies. So it's my last post on the matter.

My background studies are environmental engineering. Not environment fundamentalism. Engineers use science and technology to solve practical problems and that allows us to have a better life quality. Our current level of knowledge allows us to do so much better. We only have to do it differently and faster than we're doing it.

I just open my eyes and do not see anymore around me some species I used to see when I was a kid.

I also don't think I'm entitled to have a lifestyle that, if everybody else on the planet had, would make us needing much more than 1 planet Earth. I don't have the right to usurp what is not mine and others are already and rightfully claiming what is also theirs.
What a load of garbage... The science does not support your position but I can see why you would make it up as your career depends on it... Once again you are wasting your time trying to save 15 watts for a few hours a day makes no logical sense at all... On this website we call out crazy....

mmdb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
each light bulb in my apartment is between 80 and 100w .. my nvr 5216-5turets 5231 +ptz49xx is consuming less than 1 light bulb of energy so i dont get your point ??

Mlda

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
When you make config changes to the NVR or cameras, it should save your configs so that if you power them down, they'll be present when you power them up.

I've never seen a camera that powers down based on a schedule (or if they're recording or not).
Non recording cameras still use the same amount of power. If you want to save electricity, eliminate the nvr and just record to SD cards in the cameras.

When everything is working perfectly all settings remain in place on reboot. I've had a camera get finicky over time though and actually default on reboot and it got very problematic. So, it's not always a given. That's why I always disable any reboot schedule for the nvr and cameras. Keep the wheels spinning when all is working well, imo.
Do you know how long does it take for cameras to power up? Some seconds? Some minutes?

Hopefully, I won't lose camera configs if I power them down, since Dahua actually has Green PoE switches, but on a time schedule: Dahua PoE Switch

I probably can use a relay to power up the PoE switch when my intruder alarm sets and a time delay relay to iniciate the NVR alarm input recordind after the time needed to power up the cameras.

Although they do not serve my purpose, there are many time schedule (port power off or hibernation) switches for those who need it:

Cisco: Cisco Catalyst 2960-X Series Switches Data Sheet
Cisco Catalyst 2960-X Series Switches Data Sheet
How to automatically shutdown PoE ports on 2960 switch during night | WAN, Routing and Switching | Cisco Support Community

D-Link: DGS-1210 Series - Gigabit Smart Managed Switches
DGS-1100 Series - Gigabit Smart Managed Surveillance PoE+ Switches

Netgear: Standalone Smart Switch Series | Smart Managed Switches | Switches | Business | NETGEAR

Panasonic: PoE Scheduler Setting Procedure|Panasonic Eco Solutions Networks Co., Ltd.|Panasonic

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do you know how long does it take for cameras to power up? Some seconds? Some minutes?
Mine boot up in under a minute... I'm guessing closer to 45 seconds before they're up and streaming video... These are Dahua 5231 Starlight turrets.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score

Hopefully, I won't lose camera configs if I power them down, since Dahua actually has Green PoE switches, but on a time schedule: Dahua PoE Switch

I probably can use a relay to power up the PoE switch when my intruder alarm sets and a time delay relay to iniciate the NVR alarm input recordind after the time needed to power up the cameras.

Although they do not serve my purpose, there are many time schedule (port power off or hibernation) switches for those who need it:

Cisco: Cisco Catalyst 2960-X Series Switches Data Sheet
Cisco Catalyst 2960-X Series Switches Data Sheet

How to automatically shutdown PoE ports on 2960 switch during night | WAN, Routing and Switching | Cisco Support Community

D-Link: DGS-1210 Series - Gigabit Smart Managed Switches
DGS-1100 Series - Gigabit Smart Managed Surveillance PoE+ Switches

Netgear: Standalone Smart Switch Series | Smart Managed Switches | Switches | Business | NETGEAR

Panasonic: PoE Scheduler Setting Procedure|Panasonic Eco Solutions Networks Co., Ltd.|Panasonic
If you're trying to balance power usage verses recording critical evidence in a desperate time of need, recording evidence is not going to win. You'll surely save energy with things off, but you'll have missed the opportunity to document critical picture evidence. Give it go- more power to you (err, less in your case).

We have our systems recording 24/7/365 and even that is a crap shoot. If you are not recording you are missing the evidence. This same thing applies to motion detection, no matter how smart it is or how many trip wires you draw in. Do not rely on it as the sole means of recording evidence or you'll miss critical clues that can help solve crime, such as the direction the purps headed in or left at distance and any number of things that go down well beyond your motion and PIR strategies. Constant recording is an absolute must. A system powered down cannot do that.

I wish you no ill will but it would be terrible if you came up against a critical situation and the only thing standing in the way of helping bring about justice was a system powered off and not coming on line soon enough to document the evidence, all because of saving a little power. Save power elsewhere to make up for the power your surveillance system must use to be effective when you need it. That's the best advice I can give.

Mlda

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks again for your answers.

But please understand that our realities are completely different.
I live in an isolated house, surrounded by forest. Not as safe as it used to be - it's true - but very distant from the american reality. I don't set my intruder alarm at night, not even one of the 3 partitions it has. There's somebody at home 24 hours a day, most days of the year. I, myself, am presently a farmer and am 10 minutes away from the house most of the time. I want the cameras for a few ocasions during the year.

Portugal has just been considered the third most peaceful country in the world:

"Iceland is joined at the top of the index by New Zealand, Portugal, Austria, and Denmark, all of which were ranked highly in the 2016 Global Peace Index." (Global Peace Index – Vision of Humanity);

and the 12th safest country in the world, according to the The Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Report 2017 of the World Economic Forum (Revealed: The world's safest (and least safe) countries - Zimbabwe and Nicaragua beat the UK)

The surveillance system will be for my peace of mind when (not often) I am away. And also the laws are different in the european union. I can only record images of my private space. If I record images from what is beyond my land, it will probably not by accepted as evidence in court. By law it will certainly not be accepted. Because crime is increasing there are special cases where it has been accepted. If I have a camera that covers my property entrance, the pixels that cover the public road beyond my gate or my neighbour's garden have to be blocked.

Just read this decision of the European Justice Court, regarding a case in the Czech Republic (the whole JUDGMENT OF THE COURT is inthis link: EUR-Lex - 62013CJ0212 - EN - EUR-Lex - just chose the english language in HTML or PDF):

"The dispute in the main proceedings and the question referred for a preliminary ruling

13 During the period from 5 October 2007 to 11 April 2008, Mr Ryneš installed and used a camera system located under the eaves of his family home. The camera was installed in a fixed position and could not turn; it recorded the entrance to his home, the public footpath and the entrance to the house opposite. The system allowed only a visual recording, which was stored on recording equipment in the form of a continuous loop, that is to say, on a hard disk drive. As soon as it reached full capacity, the device would record over the existing recording, erasing the old material. No monitor was installed on the recording equipment, so the images could not be studied in real time. Only Mr Ryneš had direct access to the system and the data.

14 The Nejvyšší správní soud (Supreme Administrative Court, Czech Republic; or ‘the referring court’) notes that Mr Ryneš’s only reason for operating the camera was to protect the property, health and life of his family and himself. Indeed, both Mr Ryneš and his family had for several years been subjected to attacks by persons unknown whom it had not been possible to identify. Furthermore, the windows of the family home had been broken on several occasions between 2005 and 2007.

15 On the night of 6 to 7 October 2007, a further attack took place. One of the windows of Mr Ryneš’s home was broken by a shot from a catapult. The video surveillance system at issue made it possible to identify two suspects. The recording was handed over to the police and relied on in the course of the subsequent criminal proceedings.

16 By decision of 4 August 2008, following a request from one of the suspects for confirmation that Mr Ryneš’s surveillance system was lawful, the Office found that Mr Ryneš had infringed Law No 101/2000, since:

— as a data controller, he had used a camera system to collect, without their consent, the personal data of persons moving along the street or entering the house opposite;

— he had not informed those persons of the processing of that personal data, the extent and purpose of that processing, by whom and by what means the personal data would be processed, or who would have access to the personal data; and

— as a data controller, Mr Ryneš had not fulfilled the obligation to report that processing to the Office.

(...)

Consideration of the question referred

(...)

35 Consequently, the answer to the question referred is that the second indent of Article 3(2) of Directive 95/46 must be interpreted as meaning that the operation of a camera system, as a result of which a video recording of people is stored on a continuous recording device such as a hard disk drive, installed by an individual on his family home for the purposes of protecting the property, health and life of the home owners, but which also monitors a public space, does not amount to the processing of data in the course of a purely personal or household activity, for the purposes of that provision."

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks again for your answers.

But please understand that our realities are completely different.
I live in an isolated house, surrounded by forest. Not as safe as it used to be - it's true - but very distant from the american reality. I don't set my intruder alarm at night, not even one of the 3 partitions it has. There's somebody at home 24 hours a day, most days of the year. I, myself, am presently a farmer and am 10 minutes away from the house most of the time. I want the cameras for a few ocasions during the year.

Portugal has just been considered the third most peaceful country in the world:

"Iceland is joined at the top of the index by New Zealand, Portugal, Austria, and Denmark, all of which were ranked highly in the 2016 Global Peace Index." (Global Peace Index – Vision of Humanity);

and the 12th safest country in the world, according to the The Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Report 2017 of the World Economic Forum (Revealed: The world's safest (and least safe) countries - Zimbabwe and Nicaragua beat the UK)

The surveillance system will be for my peace of mind when (not often) I am away. And also the laws are different in the european union. I can only record images of my private space. If I record images from what is beyond my land, it will probably not by accepted as evidence in court. By law it will certainly not be accepted. Because crime is increasing there are special cases where it has been accepted. If I have a camera that covers my property entrance, the pixels that cover the public road beyond my gate or my neighbour's garden have to be blocked.

Just read this decision of the European Justice Court, regarding a case in the Czech Republic (the whole JUDGMENT OF THE COURT is inthis link: EUR-Lex - 62013CJ0212 - EN - EUR-Lex - just chose the english language in HTML or PDF):

"The dispute in the main proceedings and the question referred for a preliminary ruling

13 During the period from 5 October 2007 to 11 April 2008, Mr Ryneš installed and used a camera system located under the eaves of his family home. The camera was installed in a fixed position and could not turn; it recorded the entrance to his home, the public footpath and the entrance to the house opposite. The system allowed only a visual recording, which was stored on recording equipment in the form of a continuous loop, that is to say, on a hard disk drive. As soon as it reached full capacity, the device would record over the existing recording, erasing the old material. No monitor was installed on the recording equipment, so the images could not be studied in real time. Only Mr Ryneš had direct access to the system and the data.

14 The Nejvyšší správní soud (Supreme Administrative Court, Czech Republic; or ‘the referring court’) notes that Mr Ryneš’s only reason for operating the camera was to protect the property, health and life of his family and himself. Indeed, both Mr Ryneš and his family had for several years been subjected to attacks by persons unknown whom it had not been possible to identify. Furthermore, the windows of the family home had been broken on several occasions between 2005 and 2007.

15 On the night of 6 to 7 October 2007, a further attack took place. One of the windows of Mr Ryneš’s home was broken by a shot from a catapult. The video surveillance system at issue made it possible to identify two suspects. The recording was handed over to the police and relied on in the course of the subsequent criminal proceedings.

16 By decision of 4 August 2008, following a request from one of the suspects for confirmation that Mr Ryneš’s surveillance system was lawful, the Office found that Mr Ryneš had infringed Law No 101/2000, since:

— as a data controller, he had used a camera system to collect, without their consent, the personal data of persons moving along the street or entering the house opposite;

— he had not informed those persons of the processing of that personal data, the extent and purpose of that processing, by whom and by what means the personal data would be processed, or who would have access to the personal data; and

— as a data controller, Mr Ryneš had not fulfilled the obligation to report that processing to the Office.

(...)

Consideration of the question referred

(...)

35 Consequently, the answer to the question referred is that the second indent of Article 3(2) of Directive 95/46 must be interpreted as meaning that the operation of a camera system, as a result of which a video recording of people is stored on a continuous recording device such as a hard disk drive, installed by an individual on his family home for the purposes of protecting the property, health and life of the home owners, but which also monitors a public space, does not amount to the processing of data in the course of a purely personal or household activity, for the purposes of that provision."

None of that changes the fact that a camera system most likely will NOT capture an important event setup in "power saving mode".
Your first line of defense, that you are not using, is the alarm system.
If you are 10 minutes away, most likely whatever bad happens will be all over long before you can get home.

Citizens of Portugal need to get their rights back.

Last edited:

Mlda

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
None of that changes the fact that a camera system most likely will NOT capture an important event setup in "power saving mode".
Your first line of defense, that you are not using, is the alarm system.
If you are 10 minutes away, most likely whatever bad happens will be all over long before you can get home.
Even when 10 minutes away there's somebody home. But I suppose you are right, I tend to neglect this and, with no borders controlled, eastern europe mafia gangs start to be a threat and they are not as peaceful as we are.

Citizens of Portugal need to get their rights back.
Not "citizens of Portugal", citizens of the European Union (EU).

This one is not so easy: should the law protect my right to defend my property and my family allowing me to film my neighbour's yard or should the law protect my neighbour's fundamental rights and freedoms, notably his right to privacy?