NVR to NVR via managed Switch to LAN to Managed switch to NVR

JimBEAV323

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello to everyone ... I pray everyone is safe and healthy ....
I need some guidance on an installation .. we are working on that just seems to be growing .. I have a church complex which has 3 buildings connected via a wired LAN terminated in 3 Ubitquiti configured managed switches. The NVRs are or will be shortly, have a LAN connection through switches. Building 2 presents has 8 cameras connected to a Hikvision DS7608NI-E2/8P NVR , all functioning as normal. Building 1 (Admin Office) will have a new Hikvision DS7608-E2/16P NVR . The client wants to have 4 of the cameras in Building 2 still viewed in the building, with all 8 cameras from the B 2 NVR also viewed in the administrator's office. The preference is to have all cameras recorded and managed in the Admin Office. I have in place a PoE injector but the cams are still powered off the NVR. I have installed some RJ 45 splitters (1 in 2 Out) for all 8 cameras. I also have a patch panel installed because this installation was fluid and wanted to have options if I needed them.
I know I will have to do some reconfiguration on the B2 NVR.
I am open to any and all of the collective expertise here ... I want to make it simple and not pour more complications on the network administrator . I have read the forums in the past and found them very informative. Thank you all !!!!

Trax95008

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It shouldn't matter which building your in, as long as your on a PC on the local network just brows int the NVR you want to see/manage. If you want "all cameras recorded in the admin office" then get a single 32 Chanel NVR

JimBEAV323

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you Trax This was more or less the conclusion I have come to but I wanted more input to see if I had missed something I sincerely appreciate your response .. Have a great day and stay safe ..

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi @JimBEAV323, I might have missed some of the (important!) details: you are specifically mentioning you are using "managed switches" (which is a good thing!) but how are you actually willing to stitch all the things together? I always prefer drawings, because then you'll see things you might have looked over. And whilst you are at it: two diagrams are of interest: a physical topology and a logical topology. And they need to be compatible one way or the other.

Some networking thoughts:
  • you are mentioning patch panels: that is good. But how are the connections made? Is there 1 single UTP between each buildings in a "star" construction or in a "circle/loop"?
  • Does each building has its own ISP access (or where does that pop-up?). If multiple ISP: is failover required?
  • Do you need vlans? eg if there is wifi, do you mind putting these "guests" in another virtual segment? or do you want to physically seperate those (as you do have patch panels why not?)
  • Do you need failover/redundancy along the lines?
  • How do you want to instrument the network: DHCP (IP ranges), reservations, guest subnets etc etc

Some camera thoughts:
  • if there is only one (limited?) network bandwidth between each building, you might setup your NVR(s) to record locally, however I would advice the other NVRs to only work on the substreams of the "other/remote* camera's.
  • by doing so: if you need HD footage, you can always login to the NVR (in that building) and grab the HD footage there.

Remember, start drawing on paper, and things might become "crispy" when you are getting your ideas together. You definetly have the good gear to "play" with!

Good luck!
CC