NVR upgrade from HIKVISION DS-7608NI-E2/8P 8CH PoE NVR

rag9836

n3wb
Reaction score
Setup a system about five years ago. Pretty basic with 3 Hikvision 4mb cameras and a DS-7608NI-E2/8P 8CH NVR.

I am now in the process of adding some 8MB cameras as well as a few door bell cameras that is going to take my system to a total of 8 cameras.

With only needing 8 channels, what NVR would be a good upgrade if I am looking to go 8K ultra?

Thanks for all of the help. Love this forum.

Bob

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm not an NVR expert at all, but there is more involved than just the number of cameras. You also have to consider the bandwidth the NVR can handle. As with most things, more is better and with four 4MP and some 8MP you would most probably exceed the bandwidth of your current NVR.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A 16 channel version of any NVR over an 8ch, is a very small difference in costs'
A 16 ch version over an 8 ch would approximately only add $20-$30 in cost, yet future proof for more cameras.
You will need to study the specification sheets of any NVR you consider, and determine if it meets your cameras specs.

Keep in mind, an 8mp camera vs a 4mp camera, requires much more horsepower and storage space to handle the demands of the camera.

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hikvision DS-7608 M2/8P

Its their 8 ch 8K NVR.

then since your existing nvr is 5yrs old, dropin a fresh 4-8TB WD purple SATA drive

Then the new one just adds to your existing hik-connect account.

Last edited: