NVR vs Blue Iris

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Even though it's fine for cameras, I wouldn't get a 100Mbps (or "10/100") switch. Get at least Gigabit as it's more future-proof and there's barely a difference in price these days.
Tend to agree, when I first looked at getting a simple 8 port POE switch I looked at the specs of a 100mbs with a 1gbs uplink port versus an all 1gbs switch and I found in the main that the all gigabit switches have a much higher switching capacity.

The way that we tend to use the switches, nothing on the 100mbs ports talks to each other and everything has to go down the uplink/downlink so to me logically it had to be an all gigabit switch.

Daniel15

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I found in the main that the all gigabit switches have a much higher switching capacity.
Most switches switch at line rate, meaning you can use the full capacity of all ports at the same time, so the switching capacity will always be lower for the slower ports. For example, the TP-Link TL-SG1218MPE has 16 gigabit Ethernet ports and two gigabit SFP ports - 18 ports in total. If you look at the data sheet for the switch, you'll see the switching capacity is listed at 36Gbps, which is exactly 2Gbps per port (1Gbps up and 1Gbps down) multiplied by the number of ports :)

The TP-Link is also a managed switch, so it's got a web interface and is more powerful than a basic unmanaged switch (for example, you can monitor traffic usage). For US$200 for 16 PoE+ ports, it's a great deal.

I'm not affiliated with them in any way, I'm just in the process of switching my networking equipment to use TP-Link Omada hardware (e.g. replacing my consumer-grade wifi access points with their ceiling-mounted EAP650 APs) and their products are all very good for the price you pay.

Reaction score
TP-Link TL-SG1218MPE is pretty good. Has a very good PoE budget (192W in total, up to 30W per port). It works fine standalone, but it's quite wide as it's designed to be rack mounted.

Even though it's fine for cameras, I wouldn't get a 100Mbps (or "10/100") switch. Get at least Gigabit as it's more future-proof and there's barely a difference in price these days.
Thank you.

davej

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just picked up an Optiplex 7060 from Amazon but I have a problem. Where the heck is the power connector for my WDC Purple HD? I don't see any of th larger power connectors in here. There is a spare SATA data cable but don't I need a power cable? On the old 7010 the power cable came right out of the power supply.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You may need to buy one that splits the power if the previous owner took the cable. Or use the power from the optical disc player if it has one.

Daniel15

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
. Where the heck is the power connector for my WDC Purple HD? I don't see any of th larger power connectors in here.
Did you check all the cables coming from the PSU? The SATA power cable might be hiding somewhere :)

You may need to buy one that splits the power
Just make sure it's a SATA splitter (not a Molex to SATA one - Molex adapters have a tendency to melt) and that it's a good brand name like Cable Matters, StarTech, Monoprice, etc. Don't go cheap on anything that deals with power - it's much safer to spend a little extra money on a high-quality brand.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
The Dell we use as the family desktop only had 1 SATA power connector so I ended up grafting a second onto the wiring block but as mentioned above just get a SATA power to dual power adapter and you should be good.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
I agree with the others ^^^
If you can't rob one from the DVD drive, you will have to use a sata splitter.