nvr vs dvr

prop

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
is nvr better and longer lasting then a dvr system.i currently have a dvr system but it seems the cables and or cameras don`t last more then 2 years or so.the system is in a tropical climate but the cameras are not directly exposed to the elements.i`m just wondering if a nvr system is more reliable. also can dvr bnc cameras be converted to nvr ?thanks for any help

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
There should be zero difference in how long they last. I have a 'DVR" system and cameras that have been running since 2012. The cameras have been exposed to the elements in a tropical and occasional hurricane setting for that whole time.

There are differences in Analog (dvr) vs IP/Digital (nvr) but you need to spend some time reading up on that. Most here use IP based systems which run on NVR's. There are benefits, mostly in flexibility of settings, to IP based systems.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
Buy good quality cameras and use a dab of teflon silicone grease on each connection.
If you have a question on the silicone grease, sniff it, if it smells like vinegar, don't use it.
If you need to seal a connection, use coax seal, it's a type of stretchy tape, then put electrical tape over that.

prop

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
i have a nightowl system with 16 cameras the dvr is less then a year old and i lost about half the cameras.i`m not at the location so i can`t check it out .i suspect the dvr itself is bad. i also have another 8 channle nightowl that i gave to a friend and it is working fine. can you suggest anything more reliable without breaking the bank?thanks

doobam

n3wb
Reaction score
Do y'all have a nvr faq? I'm trying to figure out just what to do about upgrading my system (Blue Iris on a PC with 2 - 4k cameras on the network). Thanks

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
i have a nightowl system with 16 cameras the dvr is less then a year old and i lost about half the cameras.i`m not at the location so i can`t check it out .i suspect the dvr itself is bad. i also have another 8 channle nightowl that i gave to a friend and it is working fine. can you suggest anything more reliable without breaking the bank?thanks
To lose that many cams (but not all) at once I'd be suspicious of the 1-to-2 or 1-to-4 "Y" splitter that sends the 12VDC power out from a single wall wart power supply to 2 to 4 siameze cables (coax for analog video + 12VDC power); maybe 1 or more of the male plug to female jacks is unplugged or corroded.

Last edited:

prop

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
yeah i did lose then one by one not all at once so i`ll check it when i get back there,thanks.