NVR web interface must have features?

ipnoob

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Are there any manufacturers that have web interface features that are worth considering them over others for?

For instance, I have always hated how most DVR/NVRs backup videos. If continuous recording and you want to backup video around a motion alert, you have to view the motion alert in playback, write down the time stamps, go to storage and search the day for file sections, pick the right one or ones and back them up.

However, I saw a video once of an NVR that allowed you to just highlight a portion of the video timeline on the playback screen and back it up directly. (don't remember which brand) If I could find a well priced NVR with that feature I think it would definitely go to the top of my list. As far as I can tell hikvision, LTS, dahua, and amcrest don't have that.

Also, any other must have features anyone has seen?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Dahua/Amcrest have it.. you click the lil scissor icon and a bracket appears on the timeline.. then find the ending point and click it again, then a window will pop up asking you to save it.

Screen Shot 2016-11-10 at 11.21.50 AM.png

ipnoob

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Amcrest needs to get their shit together. I asked them precisely about this and they said their NVRs don't don't do it. They also have a $599 NVR listed as 32 channel @ 5mp, when I asked the bitrate they said it was 80Mbs, I was like no way that's wrong, and then they are like oh yea it's actually 320.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Amcrest just rebrands and sells Dahuas, but they are the same company that brought us foScams.. so yeah; that sounds about on par for the level of support they are infamously known for..

the good thing is amcrest plays with dahua's like they are the same; since all they did was drop a new web theme down and call it Amcrest.

hiky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hampshire - South central Uk, right at the bottom
Hik web interface has a similar deal to Dahua, click the scissor at the start of your keep point but then you have to let it play to the end of your keep point rather than highlight an area like Dahua, you then click the scissor again and that section is auto saved to a pre set location of your choice

TBH if Dahua allow highlighting i would prefer that but the Hik way works well enough although a bit long winded if the saved clip is long

hiky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Im not aware of any official main Dahua suppliers in the Uk, they can be found in odd little sellers online shops but i like main agents that specialize in proper cams, if there was a Dahua main agent in the Uk i would definitely be interested in some of there kit

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
here's a screenshot of the highlighting, it has 2 carrots.. Dahua's SmartPSS app also behaves much the same way on Windows/OSX

Screen Shot 2016-11-10 at 11.37.43 AM.png

Just grab the sliders and drag em around and the timestamps on the right are updated instantly, or type it in to fine tune it.. either works

ipnoob

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
They have so many freaking models trying to choose one is really frustrating.

edit* Wait, i think i figured it out. They split their models into 3 groups by bandwith (lite, pro, ultra) then by number of hard drives (second digit), then by channels, and by number of POE ports on the model.

I don't really understand why NVRs even have channel limits, seems like that's just a software difference, should be able to support how ever many channels on the same hardware with bandwith being the limiting factor.

Last edited:

BLKMGK

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't understand the channel limits either other than for pricing purposes. It would be interesting to compare differences in models to see if it's a software limitation only. Some models seem to have advanced features that other models don't and without downloading the PDF manuals for each it's hard to tell EXACTLY what's in a particular device - it doesn't help that they have a broken image link for some of their NVR (Pro dual drive model I looked at). Different regions get different models too, it's maddening. I *think* I chose well but we shall see, at least they don't cost much more than one or two cameras and cold be sold if you wanted to switch, I like that they don't come with drives installed. Oh, note that many of them don't use a remote control. That threw me and I hope I can come up with a reasonable solution for mine once it's here.

hiky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The 7600 line of Hiks use remotes for the NVR but they are rubbish remotes with small buttons and the NVR interface just is not good with a a remote

Its a real downside for any manufacture, the lower end Hiks are designed and priced for all users including home owners, everyone is used to a remote control, its almost the most basic way you want to control a device if the DVR is sat under a home owners Tv, and yet the NVR interface and control with a remote is impossible at times and poor at best. They should at least have the basics working easily with a remote and switch to mouse for setup if needed