NVR Wireless bridge to MoCA

Nick70068

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My Dahua NVR is located in a location which is impossible to run Ethernet cable to my router. So for the past 2 years I have been using an old Linksys WRT54G router with DD-WRT firmware configured as a wireless bridge to my router. This has been working great with more bandwidth and speed than required by the NVR. With all of the other WiFi connection in the house, it would be nice to reduce this number if possible.

Since my house is cabled with RG6 coax, and I do have a MoCA (Multimedia over Coax Alliance ) mesh network configuration setup throughout the house I decided to retire the Linksys router and hardwire the NVR on to the network. All of the coax cabling meet in the attic where the multimedia amplifier and splitters are located and is nicely directly above the NVR. So I purchased an Actiontec ECB6200 Bonded MoCA 2.0 gb Ethernet network adapter, ran a short distance of RG6 through the ceiling down in the wall to the NVR. I had swapped out on of the 2 way coax splitters to a 3 way splitter for the extra coax connection. I Connected everything together and system is up and running! I ran some speed test and there really isn't any difference between the wireless bridge and MoCa connection.

Now I have one less WiFi system on my wireless system.

observant1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have been looking into moca adapters as an alternative to installing CAT6 cable to locations with RG6 already in place. I'm more interested in using a moca adapter on each end of a single run of rg6 with nothing else transmitted over it. Basically using an RG6 coax in place of an underground or areal Ethernet cable to an unattached garage that is going to need two cameras and a usable Ethernet port for say a laptop.

I would basically go from an ISP router LAN port via ethernet cable to a moca adapter, across to the garage via coax to a moca adapter - then to a patch cable to a 4/5 port switch. A wireless bridge would work if not for too many trees and bushes. We're only talking 200ft or less. If not for the Coax already in place I might use a direct burial cat6 or an ariel cat 6 with the messenger attached. It's all part of setting up his unattached garage for cameras and internet as part of helping install a security system including NVR with cameras at his home.

I guess I need to read more on MoCA 2.5 "network extender?" - I do remember years ago when 10baseT switches were connected in series using ThinNet(coax) in buildings with stacked telecom closets and wondered why Ethernet over coax wasn't made consumer grade (not DOCSIS) - and started hearing about the Multimedia over Cable Alliance.

I like to know all the easiest alternatives to network a customers premises the quick cheap but robust way.

Rereading my post I see it's more a comment to induce discussion rather than a question.

Last edited:

Bitslizer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If 100mbps will serve, Direct TV's "DECA" is the same thing at 100mbps and those are much more affordable than most MOCA. I used it to feed a Wireless AP serving 2 WiFi camera and a POE camera (with a POE injector post DECA) at my old house

observant1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I had never heard of "DECA" before your post. Looks like they are cheap and could be purchased to test out before deciding to use them.

I found a thread on reddit discussing the use of the ethernet/coax DECA adaptor. -- it's archived from 3 years ago.....

---- " DECA is just a directv name. the adapters are MoCA E band which falls in the same spectrum the cable companies use.
retail MoCA adapters use the D band which is above 1ghz .

"You can use the adapters on both ends of dark coax to connect rooms via Ethernet. " - was a simple answer for my question in this thread.

Last edited: