NVR ?

Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
All-

Wondering if someone can help me out....I am not well versed on NVR's as I run a BI pc for my cams. My buddy wants to install a home surveillance system in his new home and right now we walked through and planned for 6 cams (eventually upgrading to 8 over time). He is looking at Dahua cams, from my advice, versus Hik's so as not to get into the mess with region codes etc that Hik's implemented and parts and pieces not working together.

Anyway, we are going with some Dahua turrets and we want a Dahua NVR but not really sure which one at this point. Wanted to know if someone could point me in the direction as to the difference between the 4108 versus the 4208 (4k non 4k maybe?)

Anyway, thanks for any assistance you can provide!

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
versus Hik's so as not to get into the mess with region codes etc that Hik's implemented and parts and pieces not working together.
While this is BS (ON HIKs part trying to control market blah blah blah), this isn't a problem unless you are buying hacked firmware cams off Amazon, Ebay, Etc. There are plenty of private label companies selling HIK hardware (Nelly's the site sponsor, LTS, and a few others if you spend some time looking around)

(4k non 4k maybe?)
In regards to 4108 vs 4208 their are a few more differences than 4k...
First you are dealing with a entry level vs. mid/upper level
4108 you get 80MB incoming bandwidth and 4208 supports upto 200MB
4108 is not going to have alarm inputs while the 4208 is going to have 4 alarm inputs which means the 41 has no alarm relays and the 42 has 2 (this may not matter to you unless you want to connect triggers/contacts, sensors to your NVR that activate a strobe light or something else)
41 only supports 1 HD while 42 supports 2

These are just some of the ones that clearly stand out

Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
While this is BS (ON HIKs part trying to control market blah blah blah), this isn't a problem unless you are buying hacked firmware cams off Amazon, Ebay, Etc. There are plenty of private label companies selling HIK hardware (Nelly's the site sponsor, LTS, and a few others if you spend some time looking around)
Thanks for your assistance zero....I do understand that this is only an issue when buying hacked firmware cams off Amazon, Ebay, AE, etc....which is most likely going to be the case here due to price constraints. Let's face it, you can buy a cam off AE for ~75 versus a "legit" company and save yourself a decent amount of moolah IF you want to take the chance of it working properly. Plus from another perspective, technology is changing so much, Dahau's introduction of the Star Light is a good example, that not sure if makes sense to dump ~150 bucks into a camera when odds are you may want to replace it with something better in 2 or 3 years....anyhow...just my .02

In regards to 4108 vs 4208 their are a few more differences than 4k...
First you are dealing with a entry level vs. mid/upper level
4108 you get 80MB incoming bandwidth and 4208 supports upto 200MB
4108 is not going to have alarm inputs while the 4208 is going to have 4 alarm inputs which means the 41 has no alarm relays and the 42 has 2 (this may not matter to you unless you want to connect triggers/contacts, sensors to your NVR that activate a strobe light or something else)
41 only supports 1 HD while 42 supports 2

These are just some of the ones that clearly stand out
80MB shouldn't be an issue since most cams these days are coming in a 6-8MB of bandwidth...unless I am missing something here?

No need for alarm inputs...this is a basic install and I do not "foresee" connecting sensors to the NVR...but I will check with him and see.

And 1 HD in the 6-8 TB range should handle the 6 cameras now and even with upgrading to the 8 cams eventually should get us at least a week of 24/7 recording (maybe even two weeks) depending on other tweaks....

Again, thanks for your assistance and clarifying the differences...I will push him to get the 4208 all in all just because it appears to be a more solid unit and the price is prob fairly close for the extra's:) But when it's not your money all you can do is offer the advice and let someone else make up their own mind!

Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
One more ?....does anyone know if the 4208 is always the 4k model or do they make various models within (4k and non 4k) 4208?

Only reason I am asking is because I am looking at various listings on ebay for the 4208 and some specifically say 4k and some listing don't mention it at all?

Thanks....

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
they made a 42XX, then a 42XX-4K, then the most recent is the 42XX-4KS2..

I suggest paying the few bux more for a 16ch version, as you said you may upgrade cameras.. but now you have the old camera and it still works fine, so you come up with a new place a little less important (like watching pets/tools/sheds/etc) and before you know it all 8 slots are used up and your looking at tossing cameras or upgrading your recorder.

Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
they made a 42XX, then a 42XX-4K, then the most recent is the 42XX-4KS2..

I suggest paying the few bux more for a 16ch version, as you said you may upgrade cameras.. but now you have the old camera and it still works fine, so you come up with a new place a little less important (like watching pets/tools/sheds/etc) and before you know it all 8 slots are used up and your looking at tossing cameras or upgrading your recorder.
Thanks for the response nayr...appreciate it! I went ahead and had him purchase the 16 CH version (4216) in order to accommodate additional cams down the road!