NVR5216-16P-I dropping camera feed

Jahua95

n3wb
Reaction score
I have DHI-NVR5216-16P-I Firmware version NVR5XXX-I_DH_MultiLang_HumanTemp_V4.000.10BE000.0.R.20200331 and currently plugged in 2 HDBW5231E-Z and 1 N45EM63

PORT 1 HDBW5231E-Z
PORT 2 N45EM63
PORT 4 HDBW5231E-Z

System is plugged in to UPS 1000 VA - tested for voltage drop with voltmeter and simulated power outage (minimal voltage drop from 122 V to 120V on battery)

POE status showing green Quality good Enhance OFF speed 100 and power consumption between 4-6 watts per camera

CPU Temp - 39C fan on Max

I am experiencing random signal loss on port 2 where is N45EM63 and port 4 where is HDBW5231E-Z
in 3 days i had 45 Offline Alarm 41 for port 2 and 4 on port 4 (at difrent times of the day)

I have tested my lan cable for the camera on port 2 by plugging laptop on one end and the other end in to Comcast Router - and receved auto negotiated 1 Gbps connection.
When camera on port 2 was connected to the NVR I've plugged in my laptop and accessed camera Web GUI with IE to see if communicates with NVR.
At that time i was able to see camera preview in Web GUI but NVR feed went dark for about 30 sec. It was a coincident that camera went offline and not triggered by me.

Last edited:

ArnonZ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
just bought that NVR and I didn't yet get it.
sounds like bad news...
could the signal drops be related to events triggered by the camera?

following and hoping for good news

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
I have DHI-NVR5216-16P-I Firmware version NVR5XXX-I_DH_MultiLang_HumanTemp_V4.000.10BE000.0.R.20200331 and currently plugged in 2 HDBW5231E-Z and 1 N45EM63

PORT 1 HDBW5231E-Z
PORT 2 N45EM63
PORT 4 HDBW5231E-Z

System is plugged in to UPS 1000 VA - tested for voltage drop with voltmeter and simulated power outage (minimal voltage drop from 122 V to 120V on battery)

POE status showing green Quality good Enhance OFF speed 100 and power consumption between 4-6 watts per camera

CPU Temp - 39C fan on Max

I am experiencing random signal loss on port 2 where is N45EM63 and port 4 where is HDBW5231E-Z
in 3 days i had 45 Offline Alarm 41 for port 2 and 4 on port 4 (at difrent times of the day)

I have tested my lan cable for the camera on port 2 by plugging laptop on one end and the other end in to Comcast Router - and receved auto negotiated 1 Gbps connection.
When camera on port 2 was connected to the NVR I've plugged in my laptop and accessed camera Web GUI with IE to see if communicates with NVR.
At that time i was able to see camera preview in Web GUI but NVR feed went dark for about 30 sec. It was a coincident that camera went offline and not triggered by me.
Hi,
what happens if you plug camera on port 2 in (for example) port 16 to test it out. Does that work? If that still fails, remove the camera from the wall, put a 1.5m cable between port 2 and the camera. Is the camera still failing? Then you know for sure it's not the cable.

In other words: debug debug debug. Step by step, don't assume, measure!

Good luck,
CC

Jahua95

n3wb
Reaction score
So folks I have some bed news for my self and good news for all of you that have or want to have this NVR.
After a lot of testing ( changing NVR, cables, firmware version on the NVR) I have concluded that my N45EM63 is overheating.
I will present few discoveries that lead me to it for benefit of anyone that will look for some answers in the future.

What I've notice first by staring on the camera Web GUI live view and viewing NVR monitor beside that in Web GUI live view screen will freeze for about 7-10 seconds, in the left top corner where is shown bitrate there was drop from about 8000 Kb to about 1000 Kb
however NVR monitor did not freeze and the BPS graph was showing steady wave and no drop. Initially I have stated that I was able to view camera thru Web GUI but there is a delay between NVR signal loss and Web GUI. Additionally in Web GUI screen stays frozen on last frame and if there is no obvious movement you can be fooled as I was.

Second was that Web GUI for the camera was loading little long and login window was loading in sections.

And finally when I took down camera (removed dome and had the camera exposed to air flow) and placed next to the monitor I have noticed that the Web GUI live view was freezing less frequently. At that time I decided to place my old PC CPU radiator under the base of the camera. From that moment camera was performing properly no freezing and for next 2 hrs no signal loss.

At this time I have restored system to previews state with small modification - I have placed the radiator on top of the base of the camera (this camera is mounted in the drop ceiling) and will monitor further to determine if this is sufficient.

Thank you everyone, and hope this information will be helpful to solve other problems.

BlueWave

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not to derail your thread but I see very limited feedback and reviews on the DHI-NVR5216-16P-I and since I'm looking to buy one from Andy this week I thought this might be my opportunity to ask...

Do you use this NVR for home or commercial use? If for home use, do you feel its overkill with features?

Did you pair smart AI cameras with the NVR, and did you notice improvements with or without a smart camera attached?

Do you have any complex areas in view (heavy shading of trees moving in the wind...etc) where your trying to get accurate motion alerts and previous systems have been really hard to dial in properly, and how would you compare it to this NVR?

Any other feedback specific to the DHI-NVR5216-16P-I you can share?

Jahua95

n3wb
Reaction score
Do you use this NVR for home or commercial use? If for home use, do you feel its overkill with features? - I am using this NVR in commercial setting and for home this is not an overkill.

Did you pair smart AI cameras with the NVR, and did you notice improvements with or without a smart camera attached? for any camera that I have I want to use as many futures as possible to give me an edge, but the combinations you can use are somewhere limited. I am combining Face detection with Face recognition and IVS

Do you have any complex areas in view (heavy shading of trees moving in the wind...etc) where your trying to get accurate motion alerts and previous systems have been really hard to dial in properly, and how would you compare it to this NVR?
I do not use MD or SMD - with 2x 2MP and 1x 4MP and 8TB I get 30 days (I have to install 4 more 2MP 1 PTZ 49425 and possibly add couple of duals and solve my LPR situation) and will be happy with 2-3 weeks of storage with continuous recording. I am focusing on DORI to assure identification of every person approaching my establishment. I do not have very problematic areas to cover but my cameras like to play with shadows and small animals :) .
My prevous NVR was N54B3P and was a good system especially 40TB total HDD capacity where this one only 16TB :-(

Any other feedback specific to the DHI-NVR5216-16P-I you can share? -
New firmware from 2020 03 31 adds small window with Human temperature statistics in AI Preview Mode (there maybe other changes that I did not notice because I've loaded new firmware after first login to the system :) )
I wish the ANPR was an AI future available for non LPR cameras because it will make this system complete and versatile.

Make sure UPS and isolate the system if you can, lightning protection if camera mounted on metal surface. I do not plan to use internet viewing or offsite storage for now (maybe in the future when all cameras are set and work good)

On the end I would like to let you know that I have this NVR only 6 days but I am very happy with performance so far.
Good luck

Last edited:

ArnonZ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@BlueWave
I just got this NVR from Andy two days ago. Didn't finish the initial tests and didn't even upgrade yet.
It'll work as expected, it's not an overkill for a residential use: you can buy the popular 5442 series cams that support FD and get FR.

So fat, I was trying the setup with two cams and indoors only (waiting for some parts plus I don't have spare time).
it looks nice but I have no idea yet how accurate, stable it is, how many times it'll miss or what features comes on the account of others.
It would take time to get a full setup I'm happy with and only then I'd be able to share some more relevant data.
So even though I've got it already, I cannot yet give you any advise. sorry.

Again, since the NVR is adding features to the cams, it's not overkill cause cheaper NVR and FR cams would cost more. Also, the BI does not support FR and therefor was not alternative for my needs.

BTW, there is also the 4216 line. but the review was not too complimenting and such AI NVR expected to be more demanding with image processing. I trust Andy and he was suggesting to upgrade to that one for X8 AI cams.

dex90

n3wb
Reaction score
How long do you think it will last? Not just working but being able to interface with the AI cameras that are going to be released in the future years.5 years, 6, more?