NVR5416 remote access bandwidth

Billyjack5

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've got a DHI-NVR5416-4KS2 that I bought from Andy to use primarily for 24 hour backup recording. I have gigabit fiber Internet and have a Netgear 16 port POE switch that is plugged into one of the ports of the router. I have 12 Dahua cams plugged into that 16 port switch, together with my Blue Iris PC and the NVR. I have 8 other cams plugged into another POE switch that plugged into another port on the router. So on my network I'm running 20 cameras total. This setup is at a second home so I access the system using Google remote desktop.

I had an incident recently where I needed to view footage on the NVR, which I have done very rarely since my BI PC almost always has the pertinent footage I need. Using the Google remote desktop, access to the NVR is hit or miss, and while I can click on the day and time for the footage I need to view, the footage will play for about 2-3 seconds because the spinning/buffering circle appears again. I'm assuming that I'm running up against my bandwidth limit but with the gigabit switch I'm using I wouldn't think that's the case.

Based on this setup, should such behavior be expected when using remote viewing application like Google desktop, or is it an NVR/settings issue? I only bought the NVR really to fully utilize the AI search for my ITC237 ALPR camera that I bought from Andy (excellent cam, by the way), but the limit on AI searches is one week, which isn't close to worth it. I'm inclined to switch back to the my old generic ONVIF NVR for 24 hour recording duties if the Dahua NVR isn't accessible under my current setup.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

paul@austins.tv

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
From your message I understand you are trying to view the CCTV remotely away from your LAN (local area network/home connectivity). What is the LAN connectivity like for view and playback?

Billyjack5

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
From your message I understand you are trying to view the CCTV remotely away from your LAN (local area network/home connectivity). What is the LAN connectivity like for view and playback?
That's a fair question and honestly it's been a while since I tried to access the NVR recordings on the LAN. I recall it worked previously on the LAN, though. I have 4hdds in the NVR. If I did a factory reset of the NVR, would I still be able to access past recordings? I would assume the reset doesn't format the hard drives.