Oak tree your in My Way!

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
We had an Oak tree drop at the condo this evening at about 7:26. Luckily nobody got hurt. We cut the branches off the Camry and he drove it out. no broken glass. It got a lot lighter in the front lawn! That grass is gonna grow now!

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
There have been a few oaks that have dropped like that around here, too. I wonder what's going on with oaks? We've had two removed that had the leaf blight and there's another one going this fall when the leaves are off all the trees so the guys can get to the problem one and drop it safely. My neighbor has one that's dead from the blight as well, but none have dropped like that one.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There's so many rock shelves, sandstone and sedimentary rock veins close to the surface in this area that those big, majestic oaks, poplars and maples around here are usually fit disease-wise when they fall.....they are shallow-rooted due to that soil type and get blown over if high winds come after some long, soaking rains. Their big, mature canopies are like sails and grab more force from the wind than they can tolerate. :confused:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I added another camera view from sidewalk. just of the guys reactions. We had a soaking rain. but if you look inside the trunk it doesn't look healthy. Almost like it was discolored and dry rotted or something. The root system barely lifted from the ground. Must been that extra weed whipping I did last week :)

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Don't be pickin on my Shopping cart now! :)
I just put New wheels on some of them. :) ( gotta work with whatcha got sometimes.)
If you come home with a grocery cart full of groceries in your car, we have like 5-6 shopping carts in the garages you can reload it all in one trip , and go up the elevator.
People who live on upper floors haul stuff up the elevator with the shopping carts. Esp. if they don't have a garage parking spot. I don't recognize that guy as a resident.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The trunk, from that photo, where it snapped doesn't look very healthy to me and I'm not an arborist. If they comment about it when removing it let us know what they say.

They will need a boom truck with a car under it and Sunday is a problem. I guess, overall, it's not that bad because of the extra liability they incur with a car being involved.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Shoot, around here you would be lucky to get a tree service that could get to you in 2 months. They are booked a long ways ahead, and dealing with workers that don't want to work just like everyone else.
Make sure they prove they have insurance and are bonded.

A friend has one of the biggest tree services in our area, price of diesel and lack of labor is killing him. Some days he only has half of his fleet working because half of the crew didn't show up for work.

Says he can't fire them for minor offences, because if he did, he wouldn't have anyone working. Most of his trucks get 4-5mpg.

Several years ago, he told me he removed all the air conditioner compressors from the trucks, because guys spent too much time running the trucks for the AC.