odd ...Night "Exposure Settings" Configuration must be tweeked each evening ..

oldtechy

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi: (Cam newbie here)
DS-2CD2432F {V5.3.0 build 150423}
problem : Each evening, the camera "LiveView" is noticeably-darker than how it was configured the evening prior.
So again, each evening, in order to have the image presented as setup the previously evening, I need to make a "temporary" change to "Exposure Settings - Exposure Time" and then change it back to my prior settings.
setup:
Scheduled switch:
Night : Exposure Settings : ExposureTime 1/12

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
at 1/12, you won't really be getting any detail in motion happening in your view.
these cams default to 1/30, but i've got mine all at 1/60 or higher to mitigate motion blur.

i find the twilight hours the hardest to get a decent image.
not enough daylight for decent 'day' image,
not dark enough for the IR (if on) to have any effect in 'night' mode...

oldtechy

n3wb
Reaction score
pozello : fascinating commentary on your cam settings.
Let's hope another poster might provide a solution to the issue described in my original inquiry(post).
at 1/12, you won't really be getting any detail in motion happening in your view.
these cams default to 1/30, but i've got mine all at 1/60 or higher to mitigate motion blur.

i find the twilight hours the hardest to get a decent image.
not enough daylight for decent 'day' image,
not dark enough for the IR (if on) to have any effect in 'night' mode...

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
pozello : fascinating commentary on your cam settings.
Let's hope another poster might provide a solution to the issue described in my original inquiry(post).
Just a thought but, when i view BI on samsung 53" its way darker than when viewed on other monitors in house and even worse when at night. I think some auto adjust depending on light and perhaps you are seeing that and not settings? maybe contrast etc on monitors

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
pardon my rambling. suggesting that that the cams may 'look' different just after dark (when there's still some ambient light but it's not completely dark yet)
so if you are viewing them then and adjusting things, they may well look different later in the night, when its as dark out as it will
get and you're viewing in a room with different lighting. IE, combination of the outside lighting changing and the inside lighting your
viewing in changing also, as Jack was getting at. must resist the temptation to fiddle with them in 'transitional' lighting conditions...

oldtechy

n3wb
Reaction score
added for clarity ... when I reported :
>> "camera "LiveView" is noticeably-darker than how it was configured the evening prior ... " <<

.. No Other Conditions Were Changed.
The reported symptoms were :
- always on the Same Monitor
- at the same time in the evening
- lighting conditions unchanged

OldTechy.

problem : Each evening, the camera "LiveView" is noticeably-darker than how it was configured the evening prior.
So again, each evening, in order to have the image presented as setup the previously evening, I need to make a "temporary" change to "Exposure Settings - Exposure Time" and then change it back to my prior settings.
setup:
Scheduled switch:

oldtechy

n3wb
Reaction score
as requested --- Snippets of SETTINGS

{ Configuration | Advanced | Image | DisplaySettings }
COMMON - red
NIGHT - violet

COMMON.jpg NIGHT.jpg

thank for looking and suggestions
OldTechy

setup:
Scheduled switch:

oldtechy

n3wb
Reaction score
odd ...Night "Exposure Settings" Configuration must be tweaked each evening ..

here's short (1/3 speed) video-clip recorded "during" the instant (20:28:51)
when I "UNDO" that "temporary change" I described in my OP.

Before that "instant", the displayed-image is "darker" than had been setup the previous evening;
Then magically, the preferred-brightness returns to the displayed-image as was setup the prior evening.

These symptoms are repeated each evening.

fwiw : as experiment, I have turned:OFF [Smart IR] switch;
_ If this is the FIX, I'll post an appropriate update.

thank , OldTechy
.................................................. ......

as requested --- Snippets of SETTINGS

{ Configuration | Advanced | Image | DisplaySettings }
COMMON - red
NIGHT - violet

View attachment 8194 View attachment 8195

thank for looking and suggestions
OldTechy

oldtechy

n3wb
Reaction score
Re: odd ...Night "Exposure Settings" Configuration must be tweaked each evening ..

sadly, that setting {OFF [Smart IR]}had NO effect on
symptoms as reported in OP.

image each evening is still darker than PreSet the prior evening ...
Once I manually, temporarily-change :
CONFIGURATION | ADVANCED CONFIGURATION | IMAGE | NIGHT | EXPOSURE SETTINGS | TIME |
... from 1/12 to 1/30 then back to 1/12

only after that temp. change .. was the image as expected ...
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

here's short (1/3 speed) video-clip recorded "during" the instant (20:28:51)
when I "UNDO" that "temporary change" I described in my OP.

Before that "instant", the displayed-image is "darker" than had been setup the previous evening;
Then magically, the preferred-brightness returns to the displayed-image as was setup the prior evening.

These symptoms are repeated each evening.

fwiw : as experiment, I have turned:OFF [Smart IR] switch;
_ If this is the FIX, I'll post an appropriate update.

thank , OldTechy
.................................................. ......

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
I see how that could be frustrating.

OK, here's what i think is going on: The exposure setting is not a fixed thing. It's a MAXIMUM time the 'shutter' will stay open for,
and the camera adjusts from there to get what it thinks is the best amount of light in for the conditions. So when you set it to 1/12,
it goes to 1/12 sec exposure, but its algorithms determine it doesn't need that much light and it slowly adjusts back to a shorter
exposure. IE, setting to 1/12 is saying to keep the 'shutere' open for UP TO 1/12 of second if needed, but for some reason the cam doesn't
think it needs to be open that much, so it self-adjusts away from that setting.

It looks like you have your camera in a fairly small space, so it could be that the IR bouncing back is enuf to cause it to
dial back the exposure. OR maybe you have some other light source near your cam, not in the picture, but close enuf so that some
scatters into the lens making the cam think it's brighter than you like it to be...

try turning off the IR completely to see if still happens. add more white light if needed, but not where it'll scatter into the cam lens...

another thought is that the 2432 is meant for indoor use. perhaps its not coping well with temperature changes that occur as it gets dark?
that's really grasping at straws, i know...