Odd question: taking cameras as carry-on. Any issues?

mustuff

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all

I'm installing some cameras at my parents house and I'll be flying down with the kit, including a couple of HDW5231R-ZE. I thought I'd take as carry-on to keep them safe.

To the point, has anyone had issues taking cameras through carry-on?

I understand airport security can vary a lot based on who you get and where you are, but just through I'd check (better safe than sorry) so I don't end up getting anything confiscated!

usaf_pride

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
They are cameras, they are fine. You may need to take them out and run them through separately or they may want to swab them. In my experience, Australia airport security is a lot less strict than the US.
Honestly tho, they get shipped all over the world in cardboard boxes with foam, just pack them well in a suitcase and check them.

carteriii

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm in the US and have taken cameras in my checked-in luggage a few times with no problem. Having said that, let me offer a piece of related advice at least for people in the US ...

I also took with me a "tool" to crimp RJ45 connectors, and it was 7.0001 inches long. TSA has a rule that no "tool" can be longer than 7 inches long (Tools). It doesn't matter what kind of tool it is, even if the most harmful thing you can do with the tool is crimp someone's small fingernail in it.