OEM Vikylin

mitchd123

n3wb
Reaction score
I recently purchased an OEM on Amazon. When it showed up with firmware version 2.800.164 (2020) it worked great, Starlight, 8MP, 5x zoom, etc. As a best practice I went to the VIkylin website and upgraded to the latest version, and the newer version is awful. Starlight no longer works, lousy images, etc.

I am familiar with how to apply firmware on other devices, but I can't find a firmware that will apply via the web interface of the camera. Any suggestions on how to find a great version of firmware that will work on this camera. I'm unable to find the original version which was on the camera, and Vikylin does not respond to messages.

Current info:
Device Type VD-2T81-ZS

System Version V2.820.003C002.0.R, Build Date: 2022-03-31

WEB Version V3.2.1.1210837

ONVIF Version 21.06(V3.1.0.1170003)

S/N 6J0EA34PAG952B6

Security Baseline Version V2.1

Copyright 2022, all rights reserved.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How can starlight not work LOL - starlight is simply a marketing term... Maybe the IR doesn't work or something else got screwed up with the update, but Starlight is just a marketing word.

Send it back to Amazon and buy again and then DO NOT UPDATE.

Most of us here do not update. We have multiple threads every week where someone updated and has had problems or bricked the unit.

mitchd123

n3wb
Reaction score
Starlight: I used to have color at night, after the update, just black and white at night. I've restored default settings, no luck, no color.

How can starlight not work LOL - starlight is simply a marketing term... Maybe the IR doesn't work or something else got screwed up with the update, but Starlight is just a marketing word.

Send it back to Amazon and buy again and then DO NOT UPDATE.

Most of us here do not update. We have multiple threads every week where someone updated and has had problems or bricked the unit.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Starlight: I used to have color at night, after the update, just black and white at night. I've restored default settings, no luck, no color.
Again, starlight is just a marketing term. I suspect what they did was they were getting too many complaints from people that they had ghosting in color at night, so to mitigate that complaint, they increased the sensitivity of when it goes to B/W when on auto to force it to go B/W and infrared to minimize ghosting.

Did you create a night profile and force it to color instead of auto?

mitchd123

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Wittaj, forcing the night color profile made a big difference. Appreciate you!

I had it set to night and illumination on, but hadn't forced the color profile. Thank you!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Cool deal! Sometimes we get lucky. We have had several that updated cams this week and bricked them, so you got off easy!