Off grid BI system - enough processor?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I thought there were already similar rules in place to keep local authorities under control.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
not for HAM operators, but for broadcast TV use.. existing federal law supersedes any local regulation but it only applies to OTA Television antenna and Satelitte Television.. if you wanted to string a HF wire antenna up they could fine you, even though its practically invisible.

the HAM parity act brings amateur operators under the same umbrella of federal protection.. I cant put a 100ft tower in my back yard, thats not reasonable.. but my local law at my house only lets me go 10ft higher than my roofline.. the problem with that is all my neighbors houses surrounding me are a story taller than my roof.. so 10ft dont get me above anyone else's roofs.. if this passes I can put a 20ft pole on my roof to break the neighborhood roof line and the city wont be able to stop me.

I took my 10ft pole down, because at that height when I keyed up my transmitter I was blowing out the front end of all the nearby TV receivers and fucking with OTA reception @ my house and all my neighbors.

If I am in the middle of the woods, and I have to go 60ft up to break the tree line.. it will legally be reasonable measures and not excessive.

logbuilder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm looking for a Cabin up in the NorthWest, my sister lives in Portland, my wife's siblings are all down in Eugene and my parents are retiring to Washington.. Since both me and my wife work from home via Internet the idea is we can spend all summer break at the cabin, let the kids get a taste of rural life with dirt and trees while spending the summer w/cousins and grandparents all about.
What part of WA are you considering?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
ideally some place around say Cougar.. but it depends.. last time I was up there I went and looked at a nice spot at Govt Camp in Oregon and they had cabletv/internet.. plus was a short drive to sisters in Gresham, would like to stay within shot of Portland because flights between DEN and PDX are nice and cheap and I can leave my VW Bus out there for transport.

Property in Colorado has gotten so high I shoulda got me a mountain cabin here decades ago when I coulda afforded it heh.. any place you dont haul water too is a small fortune.

Benak

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread now but I have more questions that are on the same subject...

I'm still not 100% committed on the NVR/NUC/Blue Iris choice to any one solution but I have been lurking here trying to learn more so I can make good choices in equipment without wasting time & money, in the meantime the only thing done at the property is the Ethernet cables have been run to multiple locations for cameras and there has been a string of robberies in the last few weeks at other cabins in the area so this back-burner project has been bumped up the priority list. My questions now:

1) I like the idea of using the Ubiquiti TS-5 POE switch to power cameras simply because it can run off my 24V battery system directly and Ubiquiti makes decent equipment but the POE is 24VDC versus 48VDC. Does anyone have real world experience with this switch (or another 24VDC POE system) to operate any of the Dahua Starlight cameras (fixed type, not PTZ)? It looks like 48VDC is "required" but it seems like the typical xfmr/power supply shipped with the cameras is typically 12VDC. Cable runs are not that long (less than 100').

2) Has anyone tried to operate a standalone NVR of "decent" quality that isn't $$$ powered by 24VDC with success? 99% of what I've seen is AC powered it seems without going to some sort of mil-spec $2,000 purpose built rugged/mobile unit.

3) Regarding both items 1 & 2 above:

a) I could buy a 24VDC-48VDC converter but am concerned about the cost and reliability of this approach. Does anyone have hands-on/real world experience with a reasonable cost unit they can refer me too (less than ≈$200?).

b) The reason for trying to go DC powered is the 24VDC/120VAC inverter at the property is much larger (4500VA) than the load of a NVR and POE injection (I realize the NVR may have POE built in depending on model/type) and below around 800 watts of load +/- the efficiency of the inverter is dismal, around 60-70% at best so I'd be wasting more power just to have AC available than I would be to power the actual devices. Typical operation is to shut the inverter off when not at the property as there is no need for AC power while not there (the aforementioned cell booster & LTE modem are 24VDC powered)

c) I could setup a small inverter that had better efficiency at the actual NVR/NUC/Switch/etc loads to power the system as well and that is likely less expensive than a 24VDC-48VDC converter but it seems like there should be a 24VDC solution possible. I also have reservations about small inverters because there is a bunch of junk out there...

I appreciate everyone's thoughts on this, I realize I'm getting into the weeds on a lot of this. I've tried searching on these topics at length with no clear answers, please accept my apologies if I missed a thread or threads on this. I feel like I should be asking for a unicorn while I'm at it.

-Ben