Off Grid Security Cams???

K4KMG

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello. New to security cams and forum. Hopefully I've posted in the correct forum?

My camp is located about an hour from home and I'm only there on weekends. Need IP cameras at the camp to monitor while I'm away. Wondering if anyone has any experience on the subject? Camp pics can be seen here: http://k4kmg.com (site is 'work in progress')
My camp is the one with colored lights on in the night time shots. Need to monitor front door of my camper and the shed in the rear.

24v solar sys is the only power available. Probably going to have to get a small inverter, (about 300w), to run security sys as it will be more efficient than leaving the big Outback Inverter on 24/7.

It seems like I need a lot of equipment to run a system. Cameras, switch, router, computer for storage, etc.... Since I'm on solar, I need to minimize voltage that the camera system will consume.

Wifi hotspot will be available next weekend. Unfortunately, wifi will have a 3gig monthly limit so I'm assuming this will preclude any streaming? Use ftp to upload file occasionally?

I currently have a TP-LINK TL-SF1008P 10/100Mbps 8-Port PoE and one DS-2CD2032-I.

Plan is to use the 2032 for the front porch area. Still need a camera for the shed but I'm planning on adding an 8' overhang off the front of the shed, (keep my UTV out of the rain), so I'm not sure yet what style of camera I'll need there.
Eventually, will need one wireless cam, (yea, I know.... but the system will all be in my trailer), for the other camp. Not really worried about this for the time being though.

Main questions:
1. Minimum equip needed?
2. Streaming? Since this probably wont be possible, at least 24/7. FTP on occasion?
3. Minimum computer/storage needed? Software? I'm assuming BI? (wish they would post their upgrade policy/cost on their website)
4. Biggest concern is facial recognition at night. PTZ is not necessary. Motion detection is.
5. Anyone doing similar?

Advice/thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks
Tom

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You probably should have gotten cameras with SD card slots, then record internally, for example, the ds-2cd2532f. What were you planning on doing with streaming, like occasional live viewing or continuous streaming? Figure streaming HD video would use 5Mbps, 300Mb per minute, 1.8Gb per hour, so you should use up 3GB limit in a couple of hours.

No hardware software needed if recording to SD, but if you want a true NVR solution, the Intel NUC is a very low power, small sized PC that you can run the Hikvision or Milestone software that's CPU efficient. Should use about 15-20W of power. For facial recognition, figure the face has to be about 40 pixels talk, or to be identifiable, needs to be 85 pixels and figure at night you lose resolution due to noise.

I do this now because my whole house is solar, although it's grid-tied.

K4KMG

n3wb
Reaction score
You probably should have gotten cameras with SD card slots, then record internally, for example, the ds-2cd2532f. What were you planning on doing with streaming, like occasional live viewing or continuous streaming? Figure streaming HD video would use 5Mbps, 300Mb per minute, 1.8Gb per hour, so you should use up 3GB limit in a couple of hours.

I do this now because my whole house is solar, although it's grid-tied.
I'd be happy with occasional upload of the video file that was saved to a hard drive at the camp. Possible? That way I could see if anything happened every few days.

Didn't think about the sd card but that means I couldn't preview the video but every weekend. If, for example, I got 'hit' on a Monday, I wouldn't know about it until late Friday. Unless I can access the sd card from home?

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
You can get one of those self-contained camera that have on board storage card and motion detect built in to save storage space so it doesn't fill up the storage card quickly. There are camera that also have alarm in/out so you can attach a external motion sensor because built-in motion detect is based on change in video itself and it may give too many fault alarms if your camp have numerous of bugs flying around.

This way you can set it that it only record to the on-board storage and sent an email out on motion detect, to save your bandwidth usage. If you get a email you feel needed to be checked then you can log into the camera and view the recording and download the recording to preserve it if something happened at the campground.

You can monitor from your phone, tablet or laptop locally at the campground using WiFi and it will not count toward your internet bandwidth usage.

Bill

I am using three of those self-contained camera since I don't monitor my from my camera all the time, I am real pleased how it works out for me.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
What kind are they?
I am using Sharx cameras - http://www.amazon.com/Sharx-Security-SCNC3905-Definition-Weatherproof/dp/B00IAZ3R0C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416946264&sr=8-1&keywords=sharx

I know it a bit pricey but I am very satisfied with the Sharx cameras performance and it meets my needs. Also Sharx had great tech support and quickly answered my emails when I had questions about setup.

I was told by someone in another forum that the Hikvision DS-2CD2532F which is a dome camera is also a good self-contained camera and WiFi supported here the link to it - http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/2014-New-Hikvision-dome-camera-DS-2CD2532F-I-S-W-Wifi-3MP-Mini-dome-Up-to/638300_1679331340.html

I am thinking about getting this Hikvision for one more spot at my home I wanted to cover so I can compare the Sharx and Hikvision.

But to remind you that I don't really stream my camera to a monitor all the time and I don't save recording off-site so WiFi works great for me and pictures are awesome since it recorded directly to on-board storage. Both cameras support PoE Ethernet

When I want to monitor my camera while I am at my desk, I use an application that support rtsp streaming and monitor it from there. It hardly ever use any CPU or memory since I am not recording or using it to alert me etc.

I have the camera send me an email with a screenshot to alert me and if I feel it warrant checking then I will logged into the camera itself and play back the recording during the motion detect.

But if you want to do recording like to NAS drive or on a computer with a high end application made for IP Cameras then you probably be better off getting a couple of those Hikvision and use PoE Ethernet connections.

Bill

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.