Offsite backup. How do you do it?

Peachs

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
anyone had any success with ftp from the NVR ?
Finally I have bought a cheap Synology DS115J Nas, to test by ftp. I think it's the cheapest and easiest option to do it locally. Thieves would have to steal it as well to make all the data disappear.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
It could be interesting, I don't mind if the backup is local, somewhere else in the house. Is the best option the one you indicate? Is it easy to configure? Does it allow auto-delete when the hard disk fills up?
Oh! duh! I have 2 recordings going on....1 is the DVR in the garage, and 2 is the BI machine recording from that DVR in the house.

Gargoile

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What about setting up a second nvr system somewhere hidden in the house?

You could use an IO Safe using Synology Surveillance Station for in home backup.
Since all your cameras are connected to the NVR directly, the only option I can see is that you have the ability to copy the stored files to a NAS.

With the amount of data that will be pushed to the NAS, my recommendation would be is have a network that supports 1gig and 10gig would be best option and have network aggregation in place. But most (at this time) don't need 10g....... yet.

10/100 network could be taxed with the total number of camera images being sent back out on the wire to the NAS.

The other unknown is what else is on your network and their load.

On the NAS you can set up data recycling after a set time frame to remove the oldest file no longer needed.

I would also add (2) UPS systems. One for the NVR and router and the other UPS to power the NAS in another location. This way your system is still recording and saving footage in the event of a power outage or power cut if they are going to break in using the second type of outage. ( I know this due to living through a home invasion/robbery)

The IO Safe will survive a house fire and floods and can also be used to keep your important files that you do not want to be stored offsite or in the Cloud. Just make sure the IO Safe is the Synology DSM version.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Unless these cameras are really cheap almost every prosumer security camera incorporates a micro SD card for edge recording.

This is your literal backup which depends upon how large of memory capacity in use. Along with what video resolution, compression, bit rate, etc.

In the polar extremes you’ll have 24 hours to 20+ days worth of video data which is reflective of memory capacity in place and settings. A person would have to literally pull each camera off it’s mounted position to gain access. As it relates to off site storage if you have a secure location to beam the same that’s another option.

I have two PtP systems now in place one of which sends all of the security video data to my fathers house (approx) 1.5 miles away. The other PtP system is part of a large mesh network tasked to provide fail over internet to our team / community when service outages / disasters are present.

Using a PtP system negates any ISP bandwidth limit issues if used to send to a offsite storage array solution like my fathers home. The added benefits are you’re in complete control so security and privacy is close to 100%!

You send data to any so called cloud (another persons computer) you have zero control over access, uptime, storage, security & privacy.

icpilot

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This option is good, but impractical, i.e. it might be more interesting to centralise a local copy somewhere else in the house.

I have an outdoor alarm (Paradox) I am not interested in reports or notifications, just a passive backup system at another location.
As member @Teken reinforced, the microSD card in each camera is your primary backup in the event of an intrusion. Are you currently using microSD cards in each camera? If not, start there.

As for offsite backup, my BI installation currently sends alert image files to a GMAIL account I created specifically for this purpose, and it's possible to do the same thing with in-camera controls (assuming you are using Dahua or Hikvision cams). Both Dahua and Hik in-camera allow you to direct snapshots and/or video to various destinations, including the local microSD, an FTP server, or a NAS.

Since I use BI and not an NVR, I am assuming you still have access to in-camera controls and are able to make use of those features separate from the NVR. Those using an NVR can confirm/deny if this is possible.

Gargoile

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As stated storage in the cameras are a plus. But keep this in mind. If your NVR also is your POE injector then if they take the NVR all recordings stop. If your cameras use an external POE injector or a POE switch, then you will still be recording.

The amount of resiliency can cover a wide spectrum, but only you can decide what path you will follow.

icpilot

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As stated storage in the cameras are a plus. But keep this in mind. If your NVR also is your POE injector then if they take the NVR all recordings stop. If your cameras use an external POE injector or a POE switch, then you will still be recording.

The amount of resiliency can cover a wide spectrum, but only you can decide what path you will follow.
Excellent point, and one I overlooked as I don't use an NVR.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score

Agree, it really comes down to finances, resources, and the willingness to commit on a solution.

Possible solutions and how to enhance the same.

1. Edge recording only (ER) local first
2. ER & NVR (local first)
3. ER, NVR, IVS (local first)
4. ER, NVR, IVS, PtP -> PtP offsite IVS / NVR / NAS (Local / Offsite)

5. ER, NVR, IVS, PtP, Cloud (Local, Offsite Managed, Cloud UnManaged)

The benefits of PtP is a dedicated connection which enhances privacy and security which you have full control over. The downside is the initial upfront costs for hardware, installation, ongoing maintenance, and energy consumption costs to power the same.

The benefits of a P2P (Cloud Solution) is very low initial cost as there is no initial hardware purchase, maintenance, or long term energy consumption to power the same. The downside is a constant internet connection and if you have bandwidth limits or unreliable connectivity this isn’t a good long term solution.

Many cloud based solutions have no ability to rotate out (old data) and will simply max out and stop ingesting the same. So active monitoring is paramount if such a solution is in place. The average consumer will have to accept the initial savings from the purchase of hardware noted up above but replace the same with a endless monthly storage fee!

Depending upon the person that doesn’t pencil out over the long term - in terms of finances. Yet others will accept the same as there’s very little maintenance, management, and energy consumption to worry about.

Fail over, Backup, Resiliency all require a clear goal / objective. How you get there comes down to finances and committing to the same.