Oh boy........it never fails!!!!

Reaction score
True to form.....as a Cyber/Network Engineer, I just can't keep things simple. We are looking into security camera systems and the more I research, the more I realize I can do my own thing versus just buying something off the shelf. My original plan failed miserably only because I left the tech side in the hands of something else.......ARLO, only one simple word comes to mind when I hear that name now.....HORRIBLE.

So, obviously back to the drawing board. This time my plan was to research what I can actually do with a setup and go from there. I could just go with a pre-built system from a reputable company but that would be way too easy......and would not tickle my nerdy nerve.

I've got some hardware that I plan to utilize for my "little" project:
*Dell R710 w/2 hex core processors and 128gb RAM, running VMware.
*8 port Cisco POE switch.
*Half a spool of CAT6 leftover from a previous project.

What I will need though:
*Blue Iris software
*a few good outdoor cameras, 4 for starters and go from there.
*Maybe a wireless camera or two in the house at some point.

My plan is to spin up a win10 or Server 2012 R2 virtual machine and install Blue Iris, depending on what the software specs require/work efficiently on. I just can't see shelling out cash for a NVR when I don't really need it.

So with all that being said, my quick and dirty idea of just buying a complete system......has now become yet another major project that will obviously take time.....mainly because my OCD always kicks in and I must learn every little thing about the subject I am working on.

I'm sure there will be pitfalls, setbacks, etc. that I will encounter so if you guys have any input, stuff to watch out for, or basic advice......by all means, please feel free to comment!!! I welcome constructive criticism better than most.

In a nutshell, I think that may be it......for the most part.

Thanks errbody!!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
True to form.....as a Cyber/Network Engineer, I just can't keep things simple. We are looking into security camera systems and the more I research, the more I realize I can do my own thing versus just buying something off the shelf. My original plan failed miserably only because I left the tech side in the hands of something else.......ARLO, only one simple word comes to mind when I hear that name now.....HORRIBLE.
Thanks errbody!!
Welcome Double00Kevin

Always looking for more great people who are interested in learning and sharing to join us.

Check out the notes looney2ns lists, and have fun helping us figure all of this out.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You'll probably be better off keeping BlueIris on a cheap $300-400 machine with less power than running it in a VM.

@BubbaJoe why the screaming invisible yellow? Most people aren't running the dark theme.