Oh look, a help thread!

Jps62

n3wb
Reaction score
:nuts:

Hey everyone, I've been browsing the forums for a little while and just trying to wrap my head around everything. I could really use some help in deciding which Hikvision turret cams I should be selecting.

IMG_5385.JPG
Front Driveway

Driveway is 45ft long, 17ft wide. Cameras would mount underneath the roof overhang which is about 10ft high. I am looking to cover the driveway in good detail, as I park a city owned vehicle out front. In addition, I would like to capture some of the passing traffic in order to get a good description of a suspect/ offending vehicle should anything happen in our subdivision.

Would it be better to do two cameras (3mp or 4mp), 4mm or 6mm? Or am I totally incorrect?

IMG_5384.JPG
Front entrance

I would mount the cameras on the similar roof overhang, pointed towards the entrance. The walkway is about 28ft long, but does not have the best lighting at night. Width between units is about 11ft. Any suggestions on cameras here?

With that being said, I would probably go with a Hikvision nvr. I was looking at the DS-7608NI-E2/8P with a 2TB HDD, just in case I decide to add a few more cams down the road. If I understand correctly I would still have to purchase the poe switch for power? I will have the cameras/ wiring installed by a licensed tech. Not only because I want it to work correctly, but the townhouse association will require someone licensed/ insured.

Thanks much. I can tell this is going to get addicting.

Attachments

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
For driveway is there lots of light? I have very little light and initialy used Hikvision 2-series cams but they didn't provide good night image even with flood light. Now using combo with Longse/Huisun and very satisfied.

As far as NVR goes you don't need another switch as long as you get powered POE version

Jps62

n3wb
Reaction score
The driveway isn't terribly dark at night. I have one exterior light and there is decent street lighting in the area.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Are you looking for cameras that have warranty and support or the best night image quality for the buck? (No, you can't have both :))

Jps62

n3wb
Reaction score
lol I know. I'd say in the beginning probably warranty and support.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
lol I know. I'd say in the beginning probably warranty and support.
Ok, in that case you should probably go with Hikvision. If you are in US there is also re branded LTS brand which has great warranty and support you can get a catalog via this forum:
https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/257-Good-source-to-buy-IP-items-at

Food for thought:
Hikvision (and Dahua) cams is as good as it gets in terms of hardware/software, but their 2-line use small sensors and night image isn't something to rave about. Their 4-line is wonderful because their 6MP cams use large sensor and great at night, but $$$

Unknown brands: There are currently two top choices. Huisun 10x Mini PTZ 2MP and Longse S500 5MP. First one is really great PTZ cam with 10x zoom, second one has large sensor and has the best night image without much IR. Both around $150 from aliexpress.

Jps62

n3wb
Reaction score
Wow that mini ptz is pretty sick. Thanks for your advice.

w1zofaz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do you know about how many feet the night vision is good for on the Huisun 10x Mini PTZ 2MP?

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Difficult to judge, I only cover 50 feet radius and it lights everything up in the area, unlike any comparable Hikvision with its Exlirs, it has dual stage LEDs two for distance and two for wide area which you can customize at what point to kick in, but you can't have both to be on.

w1zofaz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So, only 2 of the IR's can be run at the same time. Rats, I live in a rural area with hardly any lighting. Thanks for answering.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Its night vision depends on what you are trying to do. Leave it on 5mm and light up the whole FOV 150' away like daylight? Nope. That's unreasonable for any single IR light, camera mounted or not. Zoom in on someone 150' away at 51mm and light 'em up well enough to see what they're doing and recognize them if you know them? No problem. It has a good balance of IR power for being a PTZ that runs on a 15w PoE switch. Running all 4 would likely require both PoE+ and better heat dissipation for hot locations.

Like any cam, don't expect miracles at night. If it is dark, add more light for great results.