Oh look, another "help me find a camera" thread

Thorby

n3wb
Reaction score
Currently, I have three ESC-IPC5 2.0 1080p Dome Cameras at three points outside my house. Love/hate them. The domes keep getting dirty, and when they do the night vision goes to crap. I can't reach one of them to clean without a ladder, and they're all tough to clean because the domes are very delicate plastic. Daytime is nice and crisp, as is night when they're clean.

Also - I had to take each one apart, and in two places work on them with a tiny screwdriver to get the distance/focus correct. I'd prefer NOT to have to do that again! I mean, I will if I HAVE to, but...

It's time for a fourth camera (and I eventually want to replace the three I have). I want an outdoor camera with great day/night, at least comparable to what I have, a decent distance, 50'. They don't have to be domes, or move (although I'm not against that). I don't need as wide a view as I do with the current domes. They give me a good 90 degrees - For the one I need I only really need about 25 degrees. And something that will stand up to airborn Massachusetts dust, apparently. I have a PC as a server with blue Iris and a POE switch. Budget I'd like to stay under $175 each if possible. Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

Sean Nelson

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'd totally recommend a bullet. You will get much more satifying nighttime view without all the fogginess hassle. 4MP is a hot resolution right now and most 4MP cameras are made with the true WDR built into them which will help with certain lighting issues. You may also want to consider getting a varifocal which will help you narrow down your field of view exactly how you like it.

Thorby

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey thanks for the reply! Are there any cameras you can recommend, or at least help narrow down my (oh, so many!) choices? I'm using Amazon, and a search for "bullet", "4MP", "varifocal"... Well, I get a whole BUNCH of results! :)

Sean Nelson

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You cant got wrong with the Hikvision cameras. Dahua makes a decent 4MP but i think Hik is more superior

Thorby

n3wb
Reaction score
Hahaha... Ahhhh. I did not know how much I didn't know. I looked at Hikvision (and I also have read very good things about them!) and their website... Ugh. SO MANY CHOICES AND OPTIONS!

International?? Analog? Network? TurboHD? Oh my....

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
I prefer the turrets to bullets. better IR for night-time and less issues with spiders.
(bugs seem attracted to the IR and spiders follow the bugs, but the turret style seems
to be harder for the spiders to build on/around...)

4 MP hikvision turret:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Full-HD-4MP-Multi-language-V5-3-3-CCTV-Camera-DS-2CD3345-I-POE-ONVIF-Support/32465044958.html
4 MP Dahua turret:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-Dahua-IPC-HDW4421C-IR-IP-Camera-4MP-Full-HD-Network-security-cctv-Dome-Camera-Support/32466033419.html
5 MP (Longse) Turret, also popular here, but not such a well-known brand...
http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/F0SIkxe

If you don't have the stomach for ordering from China (ie, want good warranty/support/service),
order the comparable items from US retailers like Nelly's or LTS...

oh, and now that you have a good idea of the field-of-view you'd prefer at you various locations,
just get the right lens for each cam and don't mess with manual vari-focals at all...

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
for ~90+ degree view, go with a 2.8mm lens. But If you can go a little narrower, 4mm is usually easier to find
and has less fish-eye distortion ~75 degrees...

12mm hik will be ~20 degrees. 6mm is ~40 degrees.
i think there are 8mm also (in between there), but might be harder to find.

all fov claims are approximate, so no nit-picking here please. :)

consider you can also always get a narrower/taller view by turning your cam sideways...

Thorby

n3wb
Reaction score
And these are truly waterproof? I don't have to build a shelf to hang them under?

So - about ordering (when ready)... What advantages about ordering from China?

Thorby

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm seriously looking at that Dahua turret. What is TVL? 380TVL, 420TVL, 450TVL

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
yes, all outdoor rated. mount 'em on the exposed wall if you like/need.

as for ordering from China,
+ cheaper
- takes a while (several weeks at least)
- expect little in the way of support/service/warranty
- may not be able to upgrade firmware (but may never need to)
- don't always get what you think you ordered (due to listing anomalies/errors
and communications issues, aka lost-in-translation)

which is why is said "if you've got the stomach for it." :)
that said, the sellers i linked to do seem to have a decent track record...

Thorby

n3wb
Reaction score
LOL I actually think I'm ok spending more money in this case. Any US retails you can recommend?

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
sigh... "order the comparable items from US retailers like Nelly's or LTS."

Thorby

n3wb
Reaction score

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
cool! show us some representative snapshot when you've got some... :)

Thorby

n3wb
Reaction score
I will! Right now the camera is aimed at my basement ceiling until Wednesday, when I can get my ladder back from a friend and mount the camera in position! But - then I will!