OH SH%T

GaryOkie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Good to see so many repair options for a copper pipe "hole in one" event. I will share that my son experienced an even more incredible hole in one in his wall. He was drilling a small 1/8" pilot hole into a wall stud (for a TV mount) that happened to be exactly where a horizontal run of wire traversed. Blew the circuit breaker and melted the drill bit. Damn builder didn't think wire stud protector plates were needed.

This was a very challenging repair to re-insulate the wires that were otherwise still intact inside the stud. Here's a pic to show the wire before the repair (with a small section of the stud cut out). No comment if the repair was up to code standards. It's fixed.

Attachments

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Damn builder didn't think wire stud protector plates were needed.
Depending on the age of the house, I wouldn't expect protector plates. I have no idea when the building codes started to require them, but I suspect it has been within the last 20 years. My 40 year old home certainly doesn't have them.

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Lots of people really like these and for sure its not out of the question, I like the brass compression fittings with brass ferrules in this area because its the top floor, The sharkbites and push on fittings have a rubber o-ring and it kind of bothers me the minerals and chorline in the water might raise hell over time. Its in a really tight spot so I might have to go that route. The pipes go through floor joists and are glued in through them so its looking like my options are limited without ripping up tile and pulling the vanity out. The good thing is that its on the draw side of the vanity so it no issue leaving it open to check on from time to time to check for leaks if I do use sharkbites.
Use a compression union

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Its going to be a PITA 1/4 turn thing for sure. Probably have to use open end wrenches as pipe wrenches would be too bulky.

You goning to have to cut at the bottom of the hole and another cut above the drill hole, and maybe smooth the solder (with 200 grit) at the elbow if the compression collar doesn't sit well

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
A bit of a update, After opening it up a bit more, turns out its my hot waterline and its 3/4 copper, Going to have it fixed by a guy who sweats for a living however he is out of town til after thanksgiving, I popped a saddle valve in for the time being, seems to be working, I capped it off. I have a saddle valve in my basement to my 3/4 cold water line feeding my humidifier in my gas heater unit. That has been there since like 1999 and has never leaked.

34l.jpg

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
A bit of a update, After opening it up a bit more, turns out its my hot waterline and its 3/4 copper, Going to have it fixed by a guy who sweats for a living however he is out of town til after thanksgiving, I popped a saddle valve in for the time being, seems to be working, I capped it off. I have a saddle valve in my basement to my 3/4 cold water line feeding my humidifier in my gas heater unit. That has been there since like 1999 and has never leaked.
Looks like you found a good solution. I wouldn't even bother going further if it is fixed and doesn't leak.

eyeball

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That nice hole directly in the center of your copper looks exactly like something I'd have done...it's one of the reasons my "to do" list never gets shorter. My "favorite" is going to do a 5-minute job and end up spending 8 hours trying to fix the tool to do the 5-minute job with. War Story Warning. My better half was complaining about a small-medium sized dead tree that needed taking down. Well about a year later and 10k "reminders" from her I finally picked up my chainsaw only to find it wouldn't start. Several hours later after disassembling & reassembling the d&#@ thing a few times (I'll skip the detail, but it was the cord rewind spring and other stuff), my frustration reached a crescendo & I body-slammed it on a nearby rock and that was the end of that. It did provide a convenient excuse to buy a new chainsaw though, so there's that. :cool: Anyway, good luck with the pipe -looks like you have a handle on it.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That nice hole directly in the center of your copper looks exactly like something I'd have done...it's one of the reasons my "to do" list never gets shorter. My "favorite" is going to do a 5-minute job and end up spending 8 hours trying to fix the tool to do the 5-minute job with. War Story Warning. My better half was complaining about a small-medium sized dead tree that needed taking down. Well about a year later and 10k "reminders" from her I finally picked up my chainsaw only to find it wouldn't start. Several hours later after disassembling & reassembling the d&#@ thing a few times (I'll skip the detail, but it was the cord rewind spring and other stuff), my frustration reached a crescendo & I body-slammed it on a nearby rock and that was the end of that. It did provide a convenient excuse to buy a new chainsaw though, so there's that. :cool: Anyway, good luck with the pipe -looks like you have a handle on it.
I hear ya...as other IPCT members will likely say "been there, done that and even got the tee shirt." :cool: