Ok I'm investing my time in this Blue Iris, can google ruin it?

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
So my tire is flat in the garage and google bought BI, will I be getting Tire ads overlayed on my video? might sound stupid or funny, but what if?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
LOL I don't think you have anything to worry about. Where is this coming from? Why would Google have any interest in buying Perspective Software / Blue Iris? I could see them buying a cloud-based solution like Dropcam (Nest), but not some desktop app that consumes massive amounts of CPU and runs only on Windows.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
nothing is in the works that I know of, but things happen. Home automation time is lurking. Its going to happen and money will be flowing. I hate ads!!! and what happened to www

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Lol, they could built a top quality vms with facial recognition in no time if they wanted to - they have top dollar folks working there..no one is buying BI-its doing just fine as it is...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Its nice to see that they are upgrading their cams...though dropcam will never be a replacement for personal vms servers unless they lower the cost of recording...300 a year for 30 days of recording is way too much...150 for each additional camera...and add outdoor cams..if all the user wants is a single indoor camera and 10 days of recording then 100 a year is not all that terrible..but for multiple cameras it adds up fast.

brizey

n3wb
Reaction score
Its nice to see that they are upgrading their cams...though dropcam will never be a replacement for personal vms servers unless they lower the cost of recording...300 a year for 30 days of recording is way too much...150 for each additional camera...and add outdoor cams..if all the user wants is a single indoor camera and 10 days of recording then 100 a year is not all that terrible..but for multiple cameras it adds up fast.
If it is anything like Nest, there will be pretty much zero control over how it operates.

And don't get me started on "the cloud". I pay SugarSync $90/year for 250 GB. (Haven't shopped this for a while, so this may not be a great deal anymore.). It would take me less than a minute to set up my BI folder to sync to SS. (Open SS, click add folder, browse to the BI folder, click OK...done). The person that re-branded remote file hosting and thin client as "the cloud" is the marketeer of the century.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If it is anything like Nest, there will be pretty much zero control over how it operates.

And don't get me started on "the cloud". I pay SugarSync $90/year for 250 GB. (Haven't shopped this for a while, so this may not be a great deal anymore.). It would take me less than a minute to set up my BI folder to sync to SS. (Open SS, click add folder, browse to the BI folder, click OK...done). The person that re-branded remote file hosting and thin client as "the cloud" is the marketeer of the century.
I agree that its not ideal for most installs..but for a single camera system for a non techie who only needs 10 days of recording its the most efficient way to do it and have the video upload to the cloud with no additional hardware...Zero control is what these type of people need...they dont want to make any decisions...they want to plug it in and have it work...I call it the stupid tax...

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score

GaretJax

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That is not terrible, but not great anymore. Google Drive and Dropbox pricing is comparable, but Microsoft OneDrive blows it away. With an Office 365 Personal subscription ($70/year) you get 1 TB which is apparently soon to be bumped up to "unlimited" storage.

Sources:

https://preview.onedrive.com/

https://onedrive.live.com/about/en-us/plans/
I wouldn't be surprised to see that MS has small print that says you can only store Office documents in the One Drive account.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised to see that MS has small print that says you can only store Office documents in the One Drive account.
LOL. This isn't Godaddy we're dealing with here, where they sell you unlimited something and complain as soon as you show signs of using it.