OK Now What!?!?! Everytime I turn around something else!

rightkick

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It wasn't doing this yesterday. Yesterday was choppy as all can be. Every time I look at recorded video something is different or not right.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
frames being dropped, image is tearing.. somewhere you have a bottleneck more than likely.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If you want help you will have to provide more than that. The cameras, settings, cpu load, have you matched your iframe interval to the fps? Version of blue iris?

rightkick

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
frames being dropped, image is tearing.. somewhere you have a bottleneck more than likely.
I just built a dedicated PC for just this. My system is

New install Widnows 10
i5 6th Gen 6600K 3.5 GHz Skylake
ATX MSI Z170 MB
16GB DDR4 RAM
Cisco 2960 PoE
Netgear R7000 router (have a Cisco 2911 to upgrade to but need to work out my config)

Cameras are connected to fa0/14, fa0/16 (yes only two 2 MP Amcrest cameras) - Router -> ge0/1 - PC -> ge0/2

My Cat6 runs have been tested to 1Gb with JDSU test set.

Right now my switch is acting as a dumb switch. I plan on setting up VLAN's once I can get a stable consistent system which should be the easy part.

The only thing I can think of bottle necking is my switch (which is ludicrous to think in my mind)

CPU is steady at ~10% with no activity

I'm lost and frustrated again.

rightkick

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If you want help you will have to provide more than that. The cameras, settings, cpu load, have you matched your iframe interval to the fps? Version of blue iris?
I have looked left and right for this iframe rate. It's in the cameras right?

I'm running BI4 and the FPS per second are set to 25 and I left BI on auto detect (read that somewhere). I'm not sure what other settings I should give.

I believe I answered your other questions in my quote to Nayr.

Thanks

ETA: Recording are direct to disk - 3TB Western Digital Purple

Last edited by a moderator:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yeah see if the camera's video settings let you set a constant-bitrate (CBR), framerate, and iframe interval..

framerate and iframe should match, and put your video bitrate ~2/3rds max.

if you have any 3D noise reduction, turn it down or off.. lower the sharpness.

is there any option in bluiris to force tcp of the rtsp stream?

once you get this fixed go back and slowly tune and test for issues..

rightkick

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
yeah see if the camera's video settings let you set a constant-bitrate (CBR), framerate, and iframe interval..

framerate and iframe should match, and put your video bitrate ~2/3rds max.

if you have any 3D noise reduction, turn it down or off.. lower the sharpness.

is there any option in bluiris to force tcp of the rtsp stream?

once you get this fixed go back and slowly tune and test for issues..

These are the only option I can find for camera settings

Not sure about tcp and rtsp stream.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
up the bitrate for that high framerate.. put it at about 2/3rd's whatever the max it'll let you is.

5120kbps is too slow for 1080p @ 25fps

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Its seems like the amrest cameras you have (unlike the mini pt's that seem to use dahua firmware) use the same neutered firmware as the Reolink cameras. There is an issue with those cameras and blue iris. You camera does not seem to have an option to adjust the h.264 encoding type like the reolink. I would contact both amcrest and blue iris support but there may be nothing he can do. If you disable direct to disk you should be fine.
Per the latest release notes:

• Many customers have written in about ReoLink's RTSP issues. While we hope ReoLink will eventually release a repaired firmware for RTSP support, in the meantime, many have reported that setting the H.264 encoding to "baseline" in the camera as well as limiting bitrates have made the stream usable. We now have a ReoLink camera here and are researching support for its native format as used by its web interface.

rightkick

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
up the bitrate for that high framerate.. put it at about 2/3rd's whatever the max it'll let you is.

5120kbps is too slow for 1080p @ 25fps
The max bitrate is 6144. So I lowered the frame rate to 20fps and upped it to 6144kbps

I'm starting to lean towards junk cameras. Thoughts on that?

rightkick

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Its seems like the amrest cameras you have (unlike the mini pt's that seem to use dahua firmware) use the same neutered firmware as the Reolink cameras. There is an issue with those cameras and blue iris. You camera does not seem to have an option to adjust the h.264 encoding type like the reolink. I would contact both amcrest and blue iris support but there may be nothing he can do. If you disable direct to disk you should be fine.
Per the latest release notes:

• Many customers have written in about ReoLink's RTSP issues. While we hope ReoLink will eventually release a repaired firmware for RTSP support, in the meantime, many have reported that setting the H.264 encoding to "baseline" in the camera as well as limiting bitrates have made the stream usable. We now have a ReoLink camera here and are researching support for its native format as used by its web interface.
Thank You!

I was leaning towards the cameras from the get go (have had other problems as well). The settings I had are very limited to the reading I've been doing.

I posted a thread a week or so ago about recommended cameras to use with BI and the last I checked no response. That being said, you seem to be the BI genius here so could you recommend a brand in the $100 price range or is that just to cheap of a camera?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank You!

I was leaning towards the cameras from the get go (have had other problems as well). The settings I had are very limited to the reading I've been doing.

I posted a thread a week or so ago about recommended cameras to use with BI and the last I checked no response. That being said, you seem to be the BI genius here so could you recommend a brand in the $100 price range or is that just to cheap of a camera?
As far as build quality and reliability you cant go wrong with dahua or hikvision. If you want superior nightvison see the longse thread. The nightvision on that camera is much better than the 100 dollar hikvisions/dahua at the expense of warranty and unknown reliability....I have not extensively tested them with bi, but will soon. Buy one, and see how you like it before buying more.

jaredtizzle

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just built a dedicated PC for just this. My system is

New install Widnows 10
i5 6th Gen 6600K 3.5 GHz Skylake
ATX MSI Z170 MB
16GB DDR4 RAM
Cisco 2960 PoE
Netgear R7000 router (have a Cisco 2911 to upgrade to but need to work out my config)

Cameras are connected to fa0/14, fa0/16 (yes only two 2 MP Amcrest cameras) - Router -> ge0/1 - PC -> ge0/2

My Cat6 runs have been tested to 1Gb with JDSU test set.

Right now my switch is acting as a dumb switch. I plan on setting up VLAN's once I can get a stable consistent system which should be the easy part.

The only thing I can think of bottle necking is my switch (which is ludicrous to think in my mind)

CPU is steady at ~10% with no activity

I'm lost and frustrated again.
I've actually had lots of issues with my 2960, it seems to drop lots of packets due to a FCS issue. Never looked too hard into resolving it because I had an old linksys switch laying around that worked. Try swapping the switch out with something else.

Edit: Just to clarify, my cameras were both Hikvision that I had problems with. I couldn't even get stable frame rates with 512/kbps, using 1ft long CAT6 connections.